arcing and tripped breaker

Old 04-17-15, 08:48 AM
arcing and tripped breaker

I have a new reversible motor connected to a drum switch. I had replaced the old motor which had burned out and I also replace some of the contacts in the drum switch. The motor will work for a short time (usually at least a minute or two) and then the breaker will trip. I also notice a significant amount of arcing in the switch. I have two other motors with similar switches which also have a smaller amount of arcing but never have any problem with their breakers. Each motor has its own breaker with nothing else on it. I was careful about wiring just the same as the old motor (which worked fine for over twenty years) and mechanically the switch seems to be working as it should, although it is possible that the contacts might not be making solid and consistent contact - but I don't think that is the case.
Any ideas as to what the problem might be and how to proceed?

Thanks,
William

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-15, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
I would suggest double checking that you have everything wired correctly to the new motor using the wiring diagram that came with the motor and drum switch. The new may not be wound the same way as the old one you you might have some windings fighting each other.

Old 04-18-15, 05:56 AM
Have you checked the amperage on the motor to see what's going on there,also sounds like the contacts may not be making a hard contact.
Geo