Replacement wall oven wiring questions

Old 04-19-15, 01:37 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement wall oven wiring questions

Hi experts...this is probably a simple question...

Installing a new GE electric wall oven, replacing a 24 yr tappan. Pulled the old one out and see 3 wires in the wall receptical - white, black, and bare ground. The circuit breaker (off of course) seems to be dedicated to the oven.

The wiring (romex) does seem heavier gauge (thicker).

The old wiring has black to black, oven red to wall wire white, and the rest to the bare copper ground.

My ge instructions refer to wall wiring being red, black, and white ground. My ge oven has red, black, and crimped white to bare copper leader, in a metal conduit.

Here is my question...I assume I wire tie my oven red to wall wire white, like the original tappan (since I don't have wall red)??

And then black to black and bare copper to bare copper??

Thanks!

Old 04-19-15, 02:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The wiring (romex)
Bare copper wire in Romex can not be used as a neutral..
My ge instructions refer to wall wiring being red, black, and white ground
But you do not have that. You have 240 only no neutral. Your oven needs a neutral. You will need to run new xx-3* Romex cable. The white and bare on the oven whip will need to be separated. The Red and black of the new cable will go to the red and black of the oven whip and white to white and bare to bare.

Explanation:
3 wires in the wall receptical - white, black, and bare
That is 240 only.

My ge oven has red, black, and crimped white to bare copper leade
That is a 120/240 feed modified to work on older 120/240 3 wire circuits (red, black, white, no ground) but you don't have that. You have a modern 240 only circuit (two hot plus ground). Current code requires a 4 wire connection.

*"xx" is the size of the cable based on amperage. #10 for 30 amps or #8 for 40 amps.

Old 04-19-15, 03:01 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
My ge oven has red, black, and crimped white to bare copper leader, in a metal conduit.
Please explain more fully, does the oven have FOUR wires, leaving the flexible conduit, a black, red, white and bare copper? What des the nameplate and/or the installation instructions specifically state about the voltage required? Does it stat 240/120 volts or does it state 240 volts only? What is the listed amperage or wattage?

Remove the cover from the circuit breaker panel and observe the wire colors attached to the oven circuit breaker. Are these wires black and red or black and white? Is there any colored tape on the wires?

Last edited by Furd; 04-19-15 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Changing for to more so it makes sense.
Old 04-19-15, 03:12 PM
Please explain for fully, does the oven have FOUR wires, leaving the flexible conduit
Furd makes a good point. My answer was based on separate bare and white wires connected at the end.

Old 04-19-15, 05:39 PM
T
Thanks gents, glad I asked.

The old oven has 4 wires in the flexible conduit...red (attached to romex white), black (attached to romex black), green and white (attached to romex bare copper).

My new ge oven has 4 wires in the flexible conduit - black, red, white which is crimped to the white GE bare copper wire (total of 4 oven wires, with the crimping, 3).

I just assumed I could replicate the old wiring - wire nut the new oven red to the romex white, black to black, bare copper to bare copper...

The website says 240 volts, 2600 watts, 20 amps.

Sounds like it's more complicated than I thought!

Old 04-19-15, 06:10 PM
The old oven has 4 wires in the flexible conduit...red (attached to romex white), black (attached to romex black), green and white (attached to romex bare copper).
That was never code compliant. As stated a bare wire in Romex can not be used as a neutral and that is what they did.
wire nut the new oven red to the romex white, black to black, bare copper to bare copper...
But you earlier wrote the new oven has a white? What about it? Please post a picture of the new oven whip wires. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html
The website says 240 volts, 2600 watts, 20 amps.
But what does the name plate say? Post a clear, readable picture of that also.

Old 04-20-15, 07:09 AM
T
here are the pix: old wiring, new oven wires from back of oven, new oven info plate. Thanks!
Name:  old oven.jpg
Views: 4329
Size:  51.7 KBName:  new oven.jpg
Views: 7730
Size:  47.1 KBName:  plate 1.jpg
Views: 2772
Size:  30.6 KB

Old 04-20-15, 07:13 AM
T
please note that I removed the wire nut holding the romex bare copper wire, old oven green wire, old oven white wire connection - there were originally 3 wire nuts.

Old 04-20-15, 08:41 AM
As both the picture of the whip and the name plate show your oven is 120/240 not 240 as stated by the website. You will need a minimum of 12-3 NMb (Romex) on a 20 amp breaker. for your oven. I would future proof by running no less than 10-3 on a 20 amp breaker since many ovens use more current then yours does. If you later get a bigger oven you would just need to change the breaker to 30 amp.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2154
Size:  18.5 KB

Old 04-20-15, 09:17 AM
T
Thanks!

Does this mean I can wire in the new oven wires like the old? Oven black to romex black, oven red to romex white, oven bare copper to romex bare copper?

Old 04-20-15, 09:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
The bare in the old NM cable cannot be used for a neutral. It is a grounding conductor. If you have SE cable this would change.

It looks like your old oven was 240 only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: