Electric Range outlet, what is this?

Old 04-20-15, 12:12 PM
Electric Range outlet, what is this?

Hey guys,

First time homeowner in first time poster need to replace this gas stove with electric one looking at this cord hanging I don't know what it is can anybody tell me what it is and if I can hook up electric stove to it?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  26.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-15, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Is there a breaker in the panel like a 2P40A or 2P50A labeled as range or not in use ?

It's hard to tell what you have there. It would be better if you could remove the cover from the wall and shoot a new picture. It would be good if you had the power off to that circuit.

Name:  wire.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  26.1 KB

Old 04-20-15, 01:09 PM
Hey thanks for your reply there is double 50 breaker labeled "do not turn on". I think removing the faceplates a bit out of my immediate comfort zone. The dangling question mark does have white, red black and ground lead in appearance (not green). Previous owners said house came with electric originally (built 1981). I was hoping that was a common wire harness and someone could say, yep thats this or that.

But from your questions its seemingly not that cut and dry. Calling over an electrician to help out...

Thanks again

Old 04-22-15, 08:50 PM
Just wanted to post a follow up. Electrician came out said the outlet was likely hard wired to a previous electric stove. Seems odd to me, but he removed this and put in a regular outlet. YAY, new stove comes Friday.

Old 04-22-15, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.