Siemens Breakers

Old 04-23-15, 06:33 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siemens Breakers

I need to pick up some breakers for a Siemens Three Phase 200A panel. I know they are bolt on but I am lost in the naming conventions of those for sale. I think I need a B breaker but not sure if it is BL or BQ or even what the difference is?? Siemens website doesn't seem to be too clear either. Does anyone know which ones i need !!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-15, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 841 Votes on 788 Posts
You either need to look at a breaker already installed in the panel or on the ID plate inside the panel. There are several B types and they are not interchangeable.

Old 04-23-15, 07:01 PM
Received 66 Votes on 57 Posts
A 3-phase panel could be a loadcenter or a panelboard, but technically even a loadcenter is a panelboard. If you know you need bolt-in breakers that narrows it down a bit. How old is the panelboard. The more recent Siemens panelboards that accept bolt-in breakers use the Type BL breakers. The profile of the BL breaker would match a GE Type THQB breaker or a Cutler-Hammer Type BAB breaker. Like this.

http://w3.usa.siemens.com/powerdistr...-breakers.aspx

The Siemens BQ breakers are an older version with the bus attachment tab centered on the molded case like this. This breaker more closely resembles the old Frank Adams breakers, but are not a replacement for them.

https://www.grainger.com/product/SIE...-Breaker-3HZT3

The Type BL breakers have been used for roughly the last 20-30 years. Most supply houses that stock Siemens products will have a plentiful supply of the BL breakers and maybe a few BQ breakers. Most BQ breakers have to be ordered.

This is all based upon the assumption that you need breakers for a 120/208 volt panelboard and not a 277/480 volt panelboard.