Help with 3 pole switch wiring

Old 04-26-15, 04:52 PM
Help with 3 pole switch wiring

i replaced several 3 way switches in my living area with 2 pole switches....because I'm not an electrician and didn't know there was a difference. After learning of my mistake, I replaced the 2 pole switches with new 3 way switches, however, now the wires to two pair of the switches aren't receiving power.

On wall A is a 3 switch panel, with switches that control the hall light, ceiling fan, and fan light. The hall switch functions properly, but there is no power to the other two switches.

On wall B is a 3 switch panel, with switches that control the fan, fan light, and kitchen light. None of these switches have power.

On wall C is a 4 switch panel, with switches that control the garage light, one that controls unknown/nothing, the kitchen light, and the dining room light. The garage is 2 pole and works properly. The dining room works properly. The kitchen switch has no power.

So, the ceiling fan and light, and the kitchen light switches aren't receiving power, and the breaker is on. I need help please.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-15, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Three wires connected on a switch does not mean they are three way switches. Three way switches are two switches that both control the same light.

Why were you changing the switches ?
Do you have two switches controlling the same light ?

Did the switches you pulled out have three distinct screw terminals with one being a dark one ? (grounds are not included)

Old 04-26-15, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect that when you installed the single pole switches that some wires were left unconnected. Were the old switches three ways? You might have hasd power in and power out on one end of the old switch with a switched hot on the other end.

Old 04-26-15, 05:40 PM
Changing from tan to white color switches. They were functional, but only had 3 terminals- no ground....which is why I thought they were common 2 pole switches. The problems I have are with two switches that control the same item. Two for the fan, two different ones for the fan light, and two more for the kitchen light.

Old 04-26-15, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
which is why I thought they were common 2 pole switches.
2 pole switches are not common on a 120 volt circuit. They generally only are used on 240 volt circuits. All standard light switches both single location and 3-way are single pole switches.
but only had 3 terminals- no ground
What color was the screws?

Could you be talking about duplex single pole single throw switches on the fan with light?

Name:  SwtichDBL.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  18.0 KB