Service drop from pole goes through trees

Old 05-27-15, 11:25 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Service drop from pole goes through trees

I'm looking to put an offer on a house. The service line coming from the electrical pole and directly to the house goes right through a 50' maple tree on the property. The tree coverage is something I really like about this property (it's only 0.12 acres).

Will the power company require me to cut down or mutilate this tree?

Old 05-27-15, 11:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Only power company can say for sure but that isn't a great place for a tree. If the tree remains expect to keep it trimmed as needed for the power line.

Old 05-27-15, 11:35 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Will the power company require me to cut down or mutilate this tree?
No, at least not in my area. In my area the Poco mutilates the tree for free each year and then you cross your fingers and hope it doesn't die before the next mutilation.

I would suggest you talk to the power company about if there is another place you can move the meter. It will probably cost you ± $1500 to do but it will be good for the tree you like.

Old 05-27-15, 01:07 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
In my area the Poco mutilates the tree for free each year...
Different power companies in different areas will have different policies. Some refuse to trim trees on private property but will assist a private tree trimming service for a fee. Some simply state that any problem occurring because of the tree will need to be addressed by the property owner. I've seen trees (I had one at my old house) where the tree has completely engulfed the power lines and the power company didn't care.

Old 05-27-15, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The poco doesn't really care here either. They keep up with trimming for the primary (high voltage) wires but a service wire thru a tree is your responsibility. You are encouraged to hire a competent tree company due to electricity.

Old 05-27-15, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In my area they wrap the triplex with what looks like a split PVC conduit and forget about it. If there's high voltage primaries, however expect to lose half or all of the tree.

Old 05-27-15, 09:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lightbulb

Hi npeltier,

I did not born in US, but lived several years and still own a House in the Midwest (I can see that you are from that region too); however, I am currently (just temporarily and hoping to back soon to the States) living in the Caribbean... here the Government do not mutilate trees, they just totally destroy and remove them whenever they want at any place they want just for no reason... which in my opinion it should be classified as a crime; destroying them lack of total sense because here the temperatures raise over 100F with extremely high levels of Humidity, you suffocate on the Summer and the Sun will burn you alive during almost all the year round, therefore more and more trees are needed in the Caribbean but insanely the government just continue massively destroying them.

Regarding your situation with the power company and your tree, I will suggest to investigate if you can pay to have the meter moved as ray2047 suggested to you:

I would suggest you talk to the power company about if there is another place you can move the meter. It will probably cost you ± $1500 to do but it will be good for the tree you like.
If that is possible, I will not doubt to pay those $1,500 to save a tree, specially if is a tree in the land and house I will live; that tree is life and if after all you have the money to buy a House I will highly recommend to make the extra inversion and save that tree as part of the house, it will turn into a lot of blessings and personal satisfaction now and in the many years to come.

Save that tree.

Thank you a lot.

Sincerely: Jos Lewis Von Sant.

Last edited by JosiQDIY2015; 05-27-15 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 09:10 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
The poco doesn't really care here either. They keep up with trimming for the primary (high voltage) wires but a service wire thru a tree is your responsibility. You are encouraged to hire a competent tree company due to electricity.
Same here. Power companies generally have no authority to trim trees outside of the utility easement and put the responsibility of trimming trees interfering with service drops on the property owner.

In my area the Poco mutilates the tree for free each year and then you cross your fingers and hope it doesn't die before the next mutilation.
I had that happen 2 years ago at my other house. There was a pair of beautiful 85 year old hard maples in the front yard that were just butchered, one didn't make it.

Old 06-01-15, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I would also suggest looking at getting the electrical service changed to underground. That would solve many problems. Again, this would be done by the power company up to the meter. Likely the meter would need to be changed but could stay in the same location.

Old 06-01-15, 01:44 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Similar story in my area -- the power company doesn't trim trees on private property unless it is a primary voltage line. Maintaining trees around residential service drops is the responsibility of the home owner. They have a list of preferred tree trimming contractors who are certified to work around electrical wires.

However make sure you know where your property line is. On most city lots a reasonable portion of the front or side yard is actually city property especially between the side walk and the roadway. Trees in that area are trimmed by the power company.

Agreed with Tolyn as long as you can trench far enough from the tree to avoid killing it. Hard (Sugar) Maples can really be hurt by trenching too close. Soft maples are much more forgiving.

Old 06-02-15, 10:50 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I would also suggest looking at getting the electrical service changed to underground. That would solve many problems. Again, this would be done by the power company up to the meter. Likely the meter would need to be changed but could stay in the same location.
Underground service would solve a lot of problems, but I really doubt most power companies will gladly volunteer to foot the bill. In my area if the services are overhead it is the homeowner's responsibility to hire a licensed contractor to convert to underground service. That includes excavation, conduit, pulling in the new service lateral to the pole leaving enough length to go up the pole and changing the meter socket to an approved underground model. The power company will, at their cost, run the lateral up the pole in conduit and make the final connections after receiving a wiring approval from the county (several days to a week later).

Old 06-02-15, 11:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Locally when we pay for a new service hook up, overhead is the cheapest with a substantial upcharge for underground service. As far as I know our POCO doesn't allow anyone else to do the work ... but calling them should give you a good idea of who does the work and what it would cost.

Old 06-02-15, 11:25 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
but I really doubt most power companies will gladly volunteer to foot the bill.
Might end up costing the same but that is why I suggested seeing if they will let you move the meter. That might be a DIY job. Install a new service and meter socket/main panel combo and make your existing main panel a sub panel.. Most of the prep work could be done without disturbing or disconnecting your current service. Then when done and inspected you could have the drop moved. If you prep is good you should only be without power an hour or two till you hook up your existing panel to the new meter/main. You could even install a 20 amp 120v circuit and receptacle to the meter/main so you'd have some power even when the drop was switched.

Old 06-02-15, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't worry.
In my city, the city owns the first few feet of your property from the front sidewalk. There is a tree in front of my grannie's house within this area. The street lights have overhead wires running light to light. Years ago one of these wires was visibly resting in the middle of one of the main branches where it y'd off. She called the city and they were unconcerned. The tree has now literally grown around that wire and the city is still unconcerned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: