Microwave and a 15 AMP Breaker


  #1  
Old 04-28-15, 04:54 AM
P
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 67
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Microwave and a 15 AMP Breaker

From time to time when starting my microwave the breaker shuts off in the main panel. It doesn't trip the breaker every time of use. Only the microwave itself shuts off and has a plug directly behind were it goes. I replace the breaker on the panel with a 20 AMP and all is good or does the wire from the breaker also need to be changed out. Is this a job for a certified electrician or a simple do it yourself. If only the microwave is causing the breaking to go from time to time is it safe to say this is a direct dedicated circuit for the microwave and nothing else is on it. Not sure if you can buy a microwave that will run fine on a 15 amp breaker, maybe one that has a lower output power. Thanks for any info.

General Info:

Microwave output power is 1100w
Breaker shows 120/240V 10 KA- 15 on the handle (15 AMP)
Stamp on inside of panel door is 982951 (1998 is the age of panel ?)
 
  #2  
Old 04-28-15, 05:08 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Do not increase the size of the breaker without matching the corresponding wiring. Microwaves are usually on dedicated circuits of 20 amp value with 12 gauge wiring. Running a dedicated circuit will alleviate your nuisance tripping. It can be DIY, depending on where the wiring is located in reference to the panel, and how versed you are at electrical work. Your microwave is only pulling 9 amps, so the first thing I would do is make sure the microwave is alone on that circuit and change the breaker to another 15 amp. They do go bad, so it may help. Let us know how that goes first.
 
  #3  
Old 04-28-15, 05:25 AM
J
Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,463
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
By changing that breaker and not also replacing the wire, the wire is now the fuse not the breaker.
The wire could melt and short before the breaker tripped.
 
  #4  
Old 04-28-15, 07:31 AM
A
Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,499
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
That microwave should not be tripping the breaker. Maybe the 15amp breaker was going bad? Try replacing that.
If nothing else is on the circuit then you may need to replace the microwave.
 
  #5  
Old 04-28-15, 07:47 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 9,785
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I think the 15A breaker is going weak and should be replaced as the first step in troubleshooting. The 1100W microwave should work fine on that circuit as long as there are not other loads.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: