Wiring in the Garage

Old 04-30-15, 01:16 AM
Wiring in the Garage

I installed a gable fan in the attic last year. I used Romex (12 gauge).

I will be installing a gable fan in the garage this year and I understand that Romex CANNOT be used in the garage unless it is behind drywall.

I will be installing an electrical box on top of the drywall, over an existing box (single receptacle), which I will expand to two receptacles.
Steel City 2-Gang Square Electrical Box-521711234EW-25R - The Home Depot

From there, I think the option will either be conduit or armor cable, connected to this electrical box. Please provide your thoughts or recommendation? I am thinking of using armor cable but is there anything more I need to know? I google "armor cable" and AC and MC came up. Any pointers here would be appreciate it. Conduit in the garage just seems like an overkill.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-15, 09:33 AM
Actually, can I wire the gable fan to a dedicated extension cord (in a junction box) and plug it into the outlet?

Old 04-30-15, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
can I wire the gable fan to a dedicated extension cord (in a junction box) and plug it into the outlet?
No. Extension cords are for temporary use only.
I will be installing a gable fan in the garage this year and I understand that Romex CANNOT be used in the garage unless it is behind drywall.
It can be if protected. You could put an extension ring on a receptacle and use PVC conduit to protect it to a height where protection isn't required.. Above 6'7" NM-b can usually be run without protection.

Old 04-30-15, 09:56 AM
Thank you Ray! I just learned something new:

It can be if protected. You could put an extension ring on a receptacle and use PVC conduit to protect it to a height where protection isn't required.. Above 6'7" NM-b can usually be run without protection.