Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wired new outlet box but it blows as soon as I turn the breaker on.

Old 04-30-15, 06:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I bought a Leviton Duplex USB charger outlet (model T5832-W) and I wired it the same as the outlet it came from but the breaker blows as soon as I flip the breaker to on. The box has one white wire, a red wire and a black wire and a ground of course. I wired the white to the silver, and the black and the red I wired together to the brass, and broke the tab for a fork terminal as that is the way the old one was, but it isn't working. Any thoughts?

Old 04-30-15, 07:25 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which is the hot wire, black or red? My guess is that the black is hot. Disconnect the red wire. See if it blows.

Old 04-30-15, 07:46 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is it on a two pole breaker? Is it on two single pole breakers?
black and the red I wired together to the brass
If this is a multiwire circuit you just created a 240 volt dead short. What is the voltage between red and black?
and broke the tab for a fork terminal
Explain what that means. I'm not familiar with the term.
that is the way the old one was
Do you mean a tab between the two screws. If so then were you wrong when you wrote:
black and the red I wired together to the brass
Edit: Based on the diagram it can not be wired as a split receptacle. Note: CEC may require a split receptacle if this is a kitchen.

Name:  snapshot24.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  27.7 KB
From reading the instructions has only on terminal for black though there are two way to connect the wire to the terminal.

I don't know what the "fork thing" is but my guess is you destroyed the receptacle by removing a required connection.

Note: CEC may require a split receptacle if this is a kitchen.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-30-15 at 08:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: