Dryer Receptacle is RV Use Only?


Old 04-30-15, 04:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Receptacle is RV Use Only?

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but I was just checking to see what kind of power cord I needed for a new dryer and saw that the receptacle in the laundry room is labeled "Recreational Vehicle Use Only." It also says 30A 125V.

I just purchased this house and had an inspection done previously where this did not come up as an issue in the report. So, as someone who doesn't know a lot about dryer plugs:

1.) Is this the proper receptacle? If not, might there be any issues installing the correct one? There are no other similar receptacles in this laundry room.

2.) What kind of power cord do I need as I understand there are a couple different types. This is for a new Samsung DV42H5200EP Dryer.

Thanks in advance for help with this question!
Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-15, 04:16 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 55,114
Received 586 Votes on 552 Posts
That is definitely a motor home receptacle as it's 120v.

Can you locate the breaker that feeds that receptacle and let us know what it is ?
What amperage and single or double breaker.

You may be able to convert the circuit to 240v for your dryer.
Old 04-30-15, 05:46 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,809
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
A typical all electric home dryer requires both 120 and 240 volts and recent models will have a 30 amp four prong plug. You will need a matching 4 hole 240 volt receptacle for 30 amps.

This needs to be wired to the panel using two hots, neutral, and ground all ten gauge such as 10-3 Romex with ground. In the panel you need a double wide double breaker with just one handle, or two handles tied together.

There might exist 120 volt dryers but these are not common and are hard to find.

The receptacle you showed is not rated for 240 volts so you may not even use it on a 240 volt only circuit such as for some larger window air conditioners. Use of components on higher voltage circuits than they are rated for can result in a phenomenon called flashover which will trip an arc fault circuit interrupter if the circuit has one of those (not required for dryer circuits). Also, plugs and receptacles have different prong shapes, sizes, and positions for different voltages and amperages. You may not substitute a different plug on an appliance to get around this.

Verify the voltage (between the two rectangular holes) before using this receptacle for anything.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-30-15 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 06:22 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok great, thank you to PJmax and AllanJ as I will look at the breaker box to verify what is feeding this connection. I can't help but wonder why this was installed, especially if it was done during the rehab process of the home. On top of that, I'm a little bit disappointed it was not brought up in the $480 inspection/report.
Old 04-30-15, 06:38 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 10,352
Received 45 Votes on 36 Posts
I'm a little bit disappointed it was not brought up in the $480 inspection/report.
That's pretty cheap for an inspection by someone with qualifications, maybe that's why it wasn't in detail and this was missed.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: