Correct size wire nut

Old 05-01-15, 05:15 AM
Correct size wire nut

Hello - I am replacing a motion sensor in a security/flood lamp so I need to reconnect the sensor wires to the lamp and junction box wires. I have 4 neutral wires (1 for each lamp for total of 2, 1 neutral from sensor, and 1 neutral from the junction box) connected with a yellow sized wire nut which seems to work well.

For the switched hot wires there are 3 wires that are all 18 guage stranded wire (1 sensor, and the 2 lamp wires), I have connected again with a Yellow sized wire nut for these 3 wires. After tightening the wires they appear to be connected securely when tugging on them, however I'd like confirmation whether this is an appropriate size nut to connect these 3 wires? I tried looking at some sizing charts online but they did not specify this exact configuration. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-15, 06:29 AM
Wire Nuts

The wire nut package gives you the wire sizes and number of wires which can be connected.

Old 05-01-15, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
No absolute answer and size based on color may vary with manufacturer but if it all the wires fit inside and it holds the wires security it is the correct size.

Old 05-01-15, 09:03 AM
The package did not give the combination of wires I am using ( 3 #18 gauge wires), which is why I thought I would pose the question here. It does seem to hold the wires securely.

Wire Connector Assortment (25-Pack)-775128 - The Home Depot

Old 05-01-15, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those look like Buchanan or knock-offs of Buchanan, in which case the orange, yellow or red nut would be ok for 3 #18 wires.

Old 05-01-15, 12:30 PM
Thanks all!!! Appreciate it!