Testing New Wiring

Old 05-01-15, 09:27 AM
Testing New Wiring

I am nearing the end of the largest electrical project that I have ever tackled, which is pulling the wire for my basement finish. I would really like to test my wiring before the drywall goes up. Is acceptable to test each circuit by stripping the wire at the point where the sub panel will eventually be, push the wires into an extension cord that will be very briefly plugged into an existing hot outlet that is in my utility room? Are there better ways test?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-15, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What problems would you be testing for? A multimeter set to resistance/continuity setting might identify any wires that where damaged or crimped too tight, but a visual inspection would probably be just as successful. I would just take a bunch of pictures of the wire routing so that in the unlikely event something actual has gone wrong you'll know exactly where the wall needs to be opened to access the problem wire. It also might help in the future when you want to mount something on the wall and need to know where framing is and wiring isn't.

Old 05-01-15, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How long before the subpanel is installed? If you install it you could check without needing the cord method.

Old 05-01-15, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the info. My concern is a damaged wire or something that isn't obvious. To be honest, it probably comes down to the fact that I will just feel better knowing that it worked. I am probably over analyzing it all, that is a pretty common occurrence for me.

Old 05-01-15, 12:10 PM
I am not entirely sure. I am probably just being impatient and should just wait until the sub panel is hooked up.