Running wire through wall bottom plate and subfloor

Old 05-02-15, 03:47 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running wire through wall bottom plate and subfloor

I need to run a few wires from my basement into the room above. I want it to look nice so I'd like to run it inside the wall to a plate. Doing this will mean that I'll need to drill 2 half inch holes through the subfloor and the bottom plate of the wall above so that I can run the wire into the wall and down into the basement.

Is it alright to do this? It's a load-bearing wall. The bottom plate and studs are 2x4 and I have no idea if the bottom plate is doubled or not.

I can just drill a hole into the subfloor right in front of the wall if needed, but it would look much nicer to be able to run it behind the drywall to a wall plate.

Old 05-02-15, 04:06 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Mod Note: Moved to Electrical Forum.
Doing this will mean that I'll need to drill 2 half inch holes through the subfloor and the bottom plate of the wall above so that I can run the wire into the wall and down into the basement.
That is how it is normally done. Is this communication wire or line voltage wiring?

Old 05-02-15, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I would remove a piece of shoe molding, drill a small hole through the subflooring into the basement, between stud bays as a locator. Once this is done, from below you can move over 1 3/4" and drill your hole upward into the plate and into the cavity. You can replace your shoe molding and no one will never know you drilled a hole.

Old 05-02-15, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It will be easier to drill one larger hole than two small holes.

Old 05-03-15, 11:09 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I figured it would be alright but I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't compromise the integrity of anything by drilling a hole. Probably a dumb question but I'd rather be on the safe side.

The hole is for coaxial cable for 2 different ham radio antennas.

Old 05-03-15, 03:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure if there is any proximity interference, but keep that in mind. You may have to drill two holes to separate them.
There are no dumb questions, only how you use the information given.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: