Outdoor Fixture not working

Old 05-02-15, 10:44 PM
Outdoor Fixture not working

I moved into a new town home last year and the outdoor fixture wasn't working since I arrived. I've used an AC voltage detector at the wires at the fixture and switch and am not picking up any voltage whatsoever, regardless of the switch position. I also have no idea what breaker the outdoor fixture is on as it's not labeled and I have no working light to test it.

Any ideas on where I should start to try to troubleshoot the problem and get it fixed?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-15, 10:56 PM
Group Moderator
I've used an AC voltage detector at the wires
They are useless for troubleshooting an electrical problem. For that you need a multimeter, preferably analog (or a solenoid tester or a test light). Just to ask the obvious have you tried a known good bulb in the light. Have you tried bending up the tab in the bottom of the bulb socket. If so next try bypassing the switch.

Please tell us what kind of light it is. Is it controlled by a photocell or a combination photocell/motion detector.

I moved into a new town home
Do you rent or own.

Old 05-03-15, 12:25 AM
I have tried a good bulb and I just now tried a brand new ordinary outdoor fixture with no luck. I do own the home.

I will try bypassing the switch next and let you know. I have a feeling it won't change anything though since the switch looks quite new. If this doesn't work...?

Old 05-03-15, 02:59 AM
Group Moderator
If this doesn't work...?
Tell us all the wiring at both the switch and the light.