Depth of PVC Electrical Tubing Next to Retaining Wall

Old 05-05-15, 09:54 AM
Depth of PVC Electrical Tubing Next to Retaining Wall

I am planning a run of 1" pvc with 220vac, 4 wire from a subpanel on the side of the house along the foundation and then along and immediately next to a concrete retaining wall. About 100' from the panel, i will come up 3' and mount a box. The box will feed a future requirement.
Digging down 18" next to a retaining wall that holds back my inground pool sounds like a dumb idea. I do not want to surface mount it as it would not look good. Since no one is going to dig in this area, is it okay to bury it a few inches just to make it so it is not an eyesore?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-15, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
18" is the minimum depth (with an exception that doesn't apply to 240/120). If you cover the PVC with a minimum of two inches of concrete minimum depth is one foot. If you use threaded ridged steel conduit (Not EMT) depth can be 6"..

Last edited by ray2047; 05-06-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How far is the proposed panel from the pool? How far is the proposed trench from the pool and from the retaining wall?

Old 05-05-15, 01:32 PM
The panel is 15' from the pool. I was asking about running the trench right along the retaining wall where the wall meets the ground. I wonder if I could run it on the wall, 1" above ground level and strap it to the wall. I then could paint the conduit. The panel has nothing to do with the pool.

Old 05-05-15, 04:26 PM
You could do that, but be sure to use plenty of clips if you PVC especially if it gets any sun exposure as it does tend to sag,an expansion joint might help.
Geo

Old 05-06-15, 07:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok I see. Retaining walls usually have a footing that is maybe 6" wider than the base of the wall and sometimes will have drainage tiles just beyond the footing. As long as you stay clear of that, you can trench in that area, however it doesn't change the minimum depth requirement of 24" for direct burial cable, 18" for PVC conduit or 6" for rigid metal conduit (threaded).

If you were to run it 1" above the base of the wall, this area would be "subject to damage" in my opinion due to the potential to hit it with lawn equipment. That means you would need either schedule 80 PVC or metal conduit. Sch 40 PVC would sag and look bad anyway.