Re-wire 2 wire 220 outlet for a 4 wire plug

Old 05-06-15, 01:17 PM
Re-wire 2 wire 220 outlet for a 4 wire plug

Hello,

Here's my 'simple' problem. Someone gave me a washer and dryer. I already have a set. Thought I'd just put the news set on patio till I could sell. I could show they work because I have a 220 outlet there. After I rented a truck and got the appliances on my patio I remember a voice from 20-25 years ago. A repairman saw the plug and said someone used to do welding. Hmmm

First step was to verify this outlet did have 220, got a tester - yep, 220. Went to store and got special 4 prong outlet needed for this dryer. Read new plug instructions. Took off old plug cover to look at wires. Looked at disconnect box. Yep - 2 wires. Only. Two wires from the double switch in the box to the outlet. No ground or neutral. This new dryer is all fancy - computer control board and so on. I don't want to fry this dryer by not having the wiring correct at the outlet!

I'm not an electrician. I don't really want to be messing inside the disconnect box. My current dryer uses a 3 prong plug.

I can run an extension cord for the washer to get it to work. How can I easily show this golly-gee-wiz fancy dryer works so I can sell this matched set?

I've been unemployed for 5 months so I don't have much money to spend to get an electrician to make that outside plug have 4 wires for a very temporary usage?

I'm open to suggestions for what I might do.

Sincerely,
bamakodaker

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-15, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
First step was to verify this outlet did have 220, got a tester - yep, 220.
Actually should have read closer to 240. A dryer (usually) needs a 120/240 receptacle not 240. There is no way to get the receptacle you have to work. With out ground it is not even code compliant for 240 only. The only way is to install the dryer at the existing 120/240 receptacle till you sell it.

Old 05-06-15, 04:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I need Ray's help on this one. I have a serious safety concern.

Let's say the buyer has the same set up as you, 3-prong dryer receptacle.
Buyer might remove 4-prong cord and replace it with a 3-prong cord, not realizing the bond between neutral terminal and dryer chassis is missing.

I recommend you remove 4-prong cord and replace it with a 3-prong cord. This will allow you to test the dryer in your existing dryer receptacle.

I need help though to explain what is the best way to replace bonding strip that is missing when you change to a 3-prong cord.

DO NOT replace cord until you understand the bond.

Old 05-06-15, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Manufacturers instructions are the best source of info re bonding strap. Sometimes it is removed from the neutral but left connected on the other end. It could be replaced with a piece of #10 THHN green if no longer there. How I can't say without seeing the dryer.

Since dryers are usually shipped connected for 3-wire I agree set it up for three wire and install a 3-wire cord.

Old 05-06-15, 05:29 PM
change to 3 wire

Hey,
If I still have some wisened folk here - Name:  CordTrioa.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  51.2 KB
Which method is the thought for how I should go?
Blessings,
bamakodaker

Old 05-06-15, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Option 2 would be the choice. Put the white grounding wire on the neutral terminal along with the neutral of the cord.

Old 05-06-15, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Ray.
My concern was that these appliances are shipped for 3-wire installation. Once you change to a 4-wire installation, you have defeated the 3-wire.

Old 05-06-15, 06:31 PM
option 2

Thanks for the help and suggestions! I feel confident to move forward!
MUCH thanks!!
bamakodaker