My tile cutout is 1/8" too small - arghhhh HELP!

Old 05-07-15, 07:27 PM
My tile cutout is 1/8" too small - arghhhh HELP!

OK I have a bathroom with wall to wall very hard and thick porcelain tiles. The existing light switch was mounted on a 4X4 metal box with a 1 gang 1 device mud ring - I wanted to add an exhaust fan and a GFCI receptacle...so I carefully measured the size of a 4X4 metal box - took out my angle grinder and a diamond blade and cut a larger hole, so far so good. The original box was set deep so I was able to slide in a 1.5" extension ring, and did all the wiring for the ceiling light, exhaust fan, receptacle etc...everything ready to go.

The front of the extension ring is still about 1/4" recessed from the finished tile, so I went to get a 1/4" raised two device metal mug ring.

When it comes time to put the mud ring on HELLO...the mud ring is a bit wider then the actual box! not much, but about 1/8" or so? But just so that I cannot fit the mud ring on to the box!

It won't fit. I tried different ways and I can't "finesse" it in.

I can't cut the hole bigger now, with all the conductors in there and it was dusty as heck when I cut it the first time, the tiles are so hard and dense, the dust is like a soot.

So what are my options now? I am contemplating a few possibilities.

(1) Get a two device plastic mud ring, may be Carlon makes a blue one, and use a grinder to shave an 1/8" off the edges to make it fit.

(2) Get a flat two device mud ring and mount it over the finished tile, and use longer screws to attach it to the box.

Thanks in advance for any comment.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-15, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Use a box extension.

Name:  22d0512f-e4d1-4414-b30d-a0d160f8a1f4_300.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  8.0 KB
Image source Arlington Industries

Old 05-07-15, 08:05 PM
How? The box extension is to be attached to the mud ring or a switch box.

I am trying to attach the metal mud ring to the box - the box has only two screw holes at the corners.

I have this.

The mud ring is just a tad bigger than the footprint of the box and I cut the tile hole very tight to the size of the box.

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-15, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry I misread. .

Old 05-08-15, 12:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why not grind the tile ring?

Old 05-08-15, 03:36 AM
Short of using the grinder again (which is what I'd do - so what if it's a bit messy?), I don't see any other option than to chisel out whatever tiles you have to and replace with ones having a larger opening.

Old 05-08-15, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have someone hold a shop vac behind the grinder as you are cutting the tile. Also, if there is a window, open it and have a box fan pointing out pushing air and creating negative pressure. Open a window in an adjacent room to let replacement air in. Pull the bathroom door closed except for a crack. You will not fill the house up with dust. Have your safety goggles on and a respirator. You'll be surprised at how clean you can cut without a lot of dust if you prepare first.

Old 05-08-15, 06:01 AM
I will try to grind the mud ring down a bit to see if that works, if I can take 1/16" off all four sides it might do it.

Old 05-08-15, 06:55 AM
A Roto Zip tool with a tile bit will work fast.

Old 05-08-15, 08:59 AM
Rotozip with a tile bit does nothing to this dense porcelain. I had one, no good. Also tried once to cut a 1/2" round hole with a carbide grit hole saw, nothing either. Has to be a diamond bit or blade.

That's why I hesitate to cut this stuff. First time I did it the dust from it is so fine and dense it went right through the filter in my shop vac. I had a dust mask on and it didn't matter. Regular tile dust will vac right off the floor, this stuff clings onto the floor and that's why I call it "soot", had to wet mop it to get it off the floor and wall. I hate cutting this stuff.

Old 05-08-15, 07:41 PM
I'd just take the mud ring to a bench grinder. In 5 minutes it'll fit perfectly.