DC Inverter

Old 05-10-15, 05:42 AM
DC Inverter

I am interested to know how large of an inverter (DC to AC) would be recommended for a 10 AMP ac initial surge and 6 AMP run. The 6 AMP run would be for about two to three minutes, once maybe twice a day at different intervals. Would a 1K watt suffice or should I go larger? I am planning to use a heavy duty battery pack or 12vdc battery to run the inverter. My application is running a vacumn cleaner motor that pumps air into a tank to raise a boat lift. I measured amps with a UEI meter. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-15, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
At 10 amps your surge is 1200 watts. The surge or peak of the inverter should be at least that. I would recommend going a little higher (1500-2000w peak) as it seams that some manufactures overstate their products specs.

Is this a shop vac motor? 6 amps seams a little light if it is.

Old 05-10-15, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with Tolyn..... go with at least a 1500 watt inverter.

Old 05-10-15, 10:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The only thing I question is the application. I just don't think a vacuum cleaner motor will have enough power to lift a boat.

Old 05-10-15, 10:50 AM
OK, I will go a little higher, will shop for a 1500 and preferably 2000. Yes, common application with many lifts is a fairly large tank and a vacuum cleaner motor that simply pumps air. Thanks folks, appreciate the replies

Old 05-10-15, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
That's extremely interesting. Vacuum cleaner motors are known for their sucking power.... they are not known for their blowing power.

Old 05-10-15, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
I recall wiring a truck dock leveler that was air powered rather then spring or hydraulic. Sounded just like a vacuum and worked quite well.

Old 05-10-15, 03:13 PM
I recall wiring a truck dock leveler that was air powered rather then spring or hydraulic. Sounded just like a vacuum and worked quite well.
The plant that I retired from had just about converted everything to those kind of levelers. They seem to have fewer problems than the other types, are easier to work on when they have a problem and are less expensive to purchase. They basically use an airbag like rescue services used to lift cars at accident scenes, the year is provided by a system that is much like that in a shop vac. They actually keep a spare bag and motor around and can swap them out in less than 30 minutes if they have a problem.