Converting a smart switch wiring

Old 05-10-15, 01:30 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Converting a smart switch wiring

I've got an odd request. I have a WINK hub home lighting system and just received a Tapt smart light switch. It basically installed to your light switch panel to control the light and also connects wirelessly to control your smart lights.

I live in an apartment and don't want to change the wall switches (also I don't like the available locations). So what I want to do is turn this into a desk switch by using a 3 prong AC plug.

The problem I have is the switch is 4 wire, while the plug is 3. The fourth wire is the Load wire which I don't need since I won't be powering a traditional light, only using the switch for the wireless ability.

Can I wire this to a 3-prong and just TIE off the Load? Or can I connect the load wire to Neutral?

How do I solve this. Thanks guys.

Old 05-10-15, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,899 Upvotes on 3,495 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You do NOT want to tie the load to neutral. That will instantly blow the module out.
Just cap the load wire off with a wirenut.

Old 05-10-15, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Just so we are clear, since you are renting it is not legal for you to make modifications to electrical system to the apartment.

Normally when we discuss devices we do not include the ground. I am a bit confused by your terminology. (I did look up Tapt smart light switch which was not much help) Perhaps you can post some links or picture of what you are trying to do.

Old 05-10-15, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,899 Upvotes on 3,495 Posts
I read further into it.... it looks like that module you are working with receives a command from the hub or you can hit the button locally. Based on that info, I agree with Tolyn.... what do you plan to control with it ?

Old 05-11-15, 03:32 AM
A
Hi guys thanks for the help so far. Tolyn, you're right I can't be messing with electrical in here without written approval, but like I mentioned, I'm not looking to do that anyways.

As for the switch. Here are a couple pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/U67G4AB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cVvQceo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Zb137Ki.png

So usually you install this in your wall switch area and it can control the light connected to it. However if you look in picture #2, you can see that there's sorta a box on the back. In that is a wireless module with a MAC address etc that connects to your WINK smart hub. So not only can you control the lights that are hardwired to the wallplate but after pairing with wirelessly with your WINK hub, you can also program the switch to control wireless Smart Bulbs throughout your house.

Normally, if you don't buy this switch you control your lights through a mobile app (see pic #3). But I find it a lot easier to use a physical switch. So I'm bypassing the additional functionality of controlling some hardwired bulbs and just want to use the device to control my wireless smart bulbs. I want to turn it into an AC three prong and perhaps put it in a little housing and place it next to my couch... Light on - Light off. To do that I just need to use the wiring to power up that little box on the back.

So if I connect the Black and White wires to the parallel prongs of a cord and the Green wire to the ground prong and cap off the Red wire work for me?

Thanks

Old 05-11-15, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
So if I connect the Black and White wires to the parallel prongs of a cord and the Green wire to the ground prong and cap off the Red wire work for me?
It is kind of hard to say without looking at the manufactures wiring diagram, but yes, similar devices the black is power in, white is neutral, green is ground, and red is the switch leg. In your case the red would be unused. This should be confirmed with the manufacturer.

Of course, since you are planning to connect this to a cord you will need a device box to attach the switch and make your splices. An FSE box might be a good option.

Old 05-11-15, 06:42 AM
A
That sounds good. The wires are actually labelled on the back of the box... you can't see it in the picture. The white says "neutral", black says "line", red says "load", and green is just bolted to the metal plate so i'm assuming that's ground.

I will cap off the red. Thanks for letting me know about the FSE box. I had no idea you could buy those. I was going to try and build me own little case but an FSE looks like it will fit the bill!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: