Logitech Speakers the Culprit of My Short / Breaker Flip?


  #1  
Old 05-15-15, 12:19 AM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Logitech Speakers the Culprit of My Short / Breaker Flip?

I want to start by saying I'm not a household wiring expert by any means. I understand DC but am not very good with AC. So, I may use incorrect terms - please be patient with my household wiring n00bness

Yesterday I heard 2 dull noises (sounded like 2 things fell on the ground) and then a circuit in my house turned off. After that, a brief electrical burning smell was there but it quickly went away. I wasn't sure what happened, so I unplugged everything, got rid of anything that I didn't absolutely need to be plugged into that circuit, then turned the breaker back on.

Everything went fine until about 24 hours later when the breaker tripped again. I then got out my multimeter and set it for continuity, then put the prongs in each of the affected outlets on that circuit. I got a buzzer, when putting it into each of the holes in the outlet, indicating to me (hopefully correctly) that there was a short.

I unplugged all devices one by one until the short went away. It was a part of Logitech 2.1 R-20 speakers with a small built-in power supply. No other device or cord hooked up to that circuit hat a short, but this device buzzed the continuity tester when i applied the test leads to either side of the prongs of the plug, leading me to think the device itself had a short. I took the speakers apart but didn't notice anything particularly odd.

Wanting to err on the side of caution I threw the speakers away and then re-checked (just to be extra sure) each device and no continuity buzzed on any of the plugs. I plugged everything back in, rechecked the outlets and again no continuity. I flipped the breaker back on and things seem to be OK. It's been about 12 hours.

My question is this - does it sound reasonable that the culprit of my electrical short / breaker flip was the speakers? I googled around a bit and noticed that there was a recall for that model in Australia only (I'm not sure why just there). They were old but otherwise seemed to work OK.

The reason I ask is that I want to be relatively sure that I've addressed the problem and minimize the risk of further issues / fire.
 
  #2  
Old 05-15-15, 01:34 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,575
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Sounds like a bad power supply not the speakers. Using a buzzer instead of checking ohms was not accurate enough to give useful information.
 
  #3  
Old 05-15-15, 01:44 AM
G
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The power supply was in the speaker, so it wasn't a separate box.
 
  #4  
Old 05-16-15, 09:14 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,389
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
The buzz might have been telling you you should not be checking continuity with the power on. Continuity is checked with the power off.
 
  #5  
Old 05-17-15, 02:26 PM
D
Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,946
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it an AFCI breaker ?
 
  #6  
Old 05-17-15, 04:47 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,110
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You also have to understand that one of the things in that speaker P/S is a transformer most likely. Trying to check one with just a continuity tester or a cheap multimeter set to the diode or "beep" function will almost always beep or buzz. Esp with a cheap tester. I just checked a couple of "wall warts" with my good Fluke meter and got an initial beep on 2 out of three til the meter settled down and gave a very low ohms reading.

Old power supplies could have a failed component. One test would have been to plug it in to a different circuit. Not going to burn the place down if it failed, esp if you are right there checking.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: