How to wire light according to diagram

Old 05-16-15, 10:58 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to wire light according to diagram

Hi,

I've got a situation in my basement like many people with the old ceramic pullchain lights. I want to add a couple single pole switches that each operate a couple fixtures.

I noticed one run has wire coming from the breaker, then hits 2 light ceiling boxes in a row, then goes on to feed some other outlets. I want to insert a switch after the 2 lights, but before some of the other outlets that are fed off this 14-2 line.

If anyone would be so kind as to copy my diagram jpeg and use MS Paint (or whatever) to draw some black and white lines, that would be much appreciated. Or tell me that it can't be done. If that's the case, do I need to run the current diagram to the 1st light and then run the 2nd lamp from it? How would that look?

NOTES: The switch will be in a 3 gang box (will have another switch for other lights, and an outlet). I live in Iowa. Thanks to whomever created the original wiring graphic that I *******ized w/ a graphics editor. I found it on Google images and it was not attributed.

Name:  line into light then switch then outlets 2.jpg
Views: 70377
Size:  35.3 KB

Old 05-16-15, 04:23 PM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As I understood your post you would need to disconnect the lights from the black wire and run a new hot wire from the switch back to the lights.

But I'm not exactly clear on how the lights are switched currently. Are they always on?

Edit: nevermind just saw the part about pull chain lights.

It's always confusing to see these diagrams that have white wires as both switched phase wires as well as neutral. I can't make a paint drawing at the moment but to try and describe what you'd have to do in context of that picture you would need to connect the black wire going to the light in the lower part of your image to the black wire going to the light in the top half of your image and disconnect the black wire going to that light from the black wire it's currently connected to.

Last edited by Esand1; 05-16-15 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 08:39 PM
H
Is graphic 1 or 2 correct (or neither)?

Thanks for the instruction. I think I followed them, please see updated graphic below. Is this what you meant? Will this work for the downstream outlets also? (they won't be switched?)

On second look, I don't know how this could be correct and assume I misread you. Are you saying instead that I need to run the 14-2 wire from the switch up to the 1st light's box? I'm trying to do all this by running as few new wires as possible.

Name:  line into light then switch then outlets vsn2 2.jpg
Views: 26002
Size:  38.3 KB

Is this correct instead? (2nd graphic)

If neither of these are right, please give further instruction, thanks.

Name:  line into light then switch then outlets vsn3 2.jpg
Views: 23460
Size:  33.3 KB

Old 05-16-15, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
The second graphic will work or you can use the following graphic. When you make diagrams.....leave the grounds out..... they are understood and don't need to be shown.
Replace the two wire cable between lights with a piece of three wire cable.

Name:  line into light then switch then outlets 2.jpg
Views: 22698
Size:  36.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-16-15 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 09:11 PM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What PJmax posted was what I had in mind.

You could accomplish that with a two conductors and a ground from second light and 1 aditional conductor from the second light to the first which is I think is the least wire you could possibly use.

Old 05-16-15, 09:24 PM
H
Thanks guys, that makes a lot of sense now. I need to use some 14-3 and then I won't have to run much more wiring.

I'll let you know if I can't get it to work. Appreciate the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: