Need a Speed Control Switch for a High Velocity Fan

Old 05-17-15, 08:29 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a Speed Control Switch for a High Velocity Fan

Planning on buying a high velocity fan: 120 volts, 1.5 amps, 150 W. CFM range is from 3300 to 6000 approximately.

Want to control it with a rotary type (hopefully with ON/OFF cabability also), variable speed controller (full linear adjustment).

Grateful for recommendations and/or the necessary specs I should look for in such a switch.

Old 05-17-15, 09:26 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
AFAIK, you want to buy a fan that comes with a remote control.
Search google for 'high velocity fan with remote control'. There are tons of hits.

Old 05-17-15, 10:33 AM
P
This fan is for a small shop (in a shed) only 10' x 10'.

I saw a high velocity fan with remote, but not interested in having a remote. Only want to open the shed doors, and turn it on (switch installed just inside the double doors). After initial adjustment of where I want the fan speed, not anticipating having to change it much (maybe occasionally, maybe not). Want to turn it on with the rotary switch right there near the doors before I walk in. Don't want to rely on having to use any of the usual factory three speeds.

Curious however; maybe you're saying the remote has full range linear adjustment of the fan speed?

The CFM in my original post was the original fan I was looking at, and no doubt too high for my little shop. I just learned that the 24" floor model fan I was setting just outside the doors, aimed at the inside, is only 2800 CFM on LOW speed. Regardless what CFM range I end up buying, I want to put a variable speed control on it. I'm not looking to merely circulate air inside, but to blast me directly with the air (as I stand at the workbench), at a comfortable rate, to immediately cool me down and keep me that way, upon entering my hotbox shed (metal, but lined with wood paneling). Also not interested in a thru-the-wall ventilator-type exhaust fan.

What does "AFAIK" mean?

Last edited by plumducy; 05-17-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-17-15, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 597 Votes on 512 Posts
AFAIK = As far as I know

If it is a standard induction motor (which at that CFM I would believe it is) you want something like this: DAYTON Speed Control, 6 Amps 48C172 - G5287764 at Zoro

Old 05-17-15, 10:51 AM
P
Thank you Pulpo and Tolyn - is an induction motor also a PSC motor?

Old 05-17-15, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 597 Votes on 512 Posts
Yes. PSC motor = permanent-split capacitor motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: