2 pair pos/neg wires to outlet with single terminals?

Old 05-17-15, 01:00 PM
Question 2 pair pos/neg wires to outlet with single terminals?

Bought a night light outlet and pulled the old outlet out. There are two positive and two negative wires, plus the ground wire connected to the old outlet. The new outlet does not have a pair of terminals for each, only single. How do I handle this? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-15, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Bought a night light outlet and pulled the old outlet out. There are two positive and two negative wires, plus the ground wire connected to the old outlet.
No you don't. It is AC. You have hot and neutral. Use pigtails. Connect the black to a 6"-8" length of wire the same color and gauge as the black. Connect to the brass screw. Connect the white to a 6"-8" length of wire the same color and gauge as the white. Connect to the silver screw.

If you have a red wire stop and post back first. If this is a GFCI receptacle stop and post back first.

Old 05-19-15, 08:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
T Mac,

In the case that this is your first time using the Pigtail Method, please remember to use the proper, right Wire Nut/Connector size, the wire nut should be suitable for connecting a combination of 3 wires of their respectively gauge together; and always verify that you properly tighten the wire nuts ensuring a proper connection.

Do not do the Pigtail connections using Electrical Tape or just twisting the wires to secure them together without using the Wire Nut. YOU ALWAYS NEED TO USE A PROPER WIRE NUT/CONNECTOR FOR PIGTAILS. I know this information is pretty obvious, but as you clearly did not know about using the Pigtail Method to solve your problem at first instance... then I am just providing additional important information.

Thanks.

Jos