Hot tub GFIC keeps going out

Old 05-17-15, 02:58 PM
Unhappy Hot tub GFIC keeps going out

Help. I have replaced the 50 Amp GFIC breaker 3 times in the last 5 years on my hot tub, and these are fairly expensive. All of a sudden the breaker trips and will not stay set. After replacing it, it works fine for about 1 1/2 years. The breaker is located outdoors near the hot tub. Is it possible that the environment (being outside) is causing the GFIC breaker to fail? I have thought about moving the 50 Amp GFIC breaker indoors to the main service panel and putting in a regular 60 Amp breaker in the outside box by the hot tub. Is this legal - to code? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-15, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I have thought about moving the 50 Amp GFIC breaker indoors to the main service panel and putting in a regular 60 Amp breaker in the outside box by the hot tub. Is this legal - to code? Any suggestions?
You may change out the breaker to a Non-GFCI one if you install a GFCI breaker upstream on the circuit (IE: in the panel the circuit originates) so your plan would be ok.

Likely water is getting some place it shouldn't and that is causing the breaker to trip. I'm not sure why a new one would fix it for a while as they should not become more sensitive over time.

Old 05-17-15, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
T.... that's what he mentioned. Move the GFI breaker to inside.

Old 05-17-15, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 05-18-15 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 06:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One other thought. Are the conduits going in and out of the panel sealed up well with duct sealant? You could be getting some very humid air drifting into the panel via the hot tub conduit causing condensation in the panel and on the breaker. All conduits that go between different environments should be sealed.

Old 05-18-15, 06:20 AM
Just for clarity - when it fails do you remove the wires on the output of the breaker? I just wondering if you have a real fault, then call an electrician, then by the time he gets there it has dried out.