meter to panel what is needed

Old 05-18-15, 07:42 AM
meter to panel what is needed

i live in iowa so the 2014 code is what i have to meet.
i'm only worried about getting from the meter to my panel right now.
electric company installed a meter with a 200 amp main breaker and 8 slots for breakers and it also has feed through lugs. i am hooking to the feed through lugs with 4/0,4/0,4/0,2/0 alum. since my house meeter will now be a feeder panel. most of my issues right now are to do with the conduit. the wire i have is rated for underground barriel. from what i can figure with the conduit fill stuff i need 3 inch conduit ? however my box at the pole and at the house only take 2.5 inch conduit. my home box is a QO 42 space 42 circuit. i was planning on running 3 inch conduit down past the 2 ft mark then stopping at the pole and the house. i'm waiting to hear back from the inspector now. but figured i'd try this to see what i can learn before i talk to him. will i need an expansion sleeve per code? this is an older home but the pole is new. maybe i am going overboard with the 3 inch conduit maybe i only need 2.5 inch. what is normally done?

thanks troy. and ya my spelling sucks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-15, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Need a few more details on the layout. Where are all of the panels and meters located in terms of on poles, on building exteriors, or inside buildings? Which runs of wire are above ground, underground and through a building?

Normally with residential we would not use larger than 2.5" conduit, and even that would be rare compared to 2".

Old 05-18-15, 08:16 AM
meter panel is on the pole about 100ft from the house. the other panel will be inside on the basement wall. only a little over 2 ft will be underground at pole and at house. all will be schedule 80 pvc. so the wire will go down the pole a bit over 2 ft in conduit. then have no conduit over to the house then back up the house wall in conduit go in the floor joice and down into the breaker panel.

Old 05-18-15, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, 2.5" PVC conduit is the correct size for what you need to do here. In my opinion expansion joints are not required because this is not a "fully assembled" conduit system -- just sleeves for protection. The inspector of course might see it differently.

You may not be able to use URD (underground residential distribution) wire because that wire does not have a fire rating to enter the house, even for the short distance to the panel. You would need to use a USE-2 / RHW-2 / XHHW-2 wire instead which does have the fire rating. Check exactly which wire type you have.

Old 05-18-15, 11:14 AM
as far as conduit you pretty much just repeated what the inspector said when i talked to him. as far as my wire? he didn't flag anything when i told him what i was using.

Mobile Home Feeder

that is my wire.

Old 05-18-15, 11:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're good to go with the Southwire MHF.

Old 05-18-15, 11:40 AM
awesome... thanks for the help. now on to my next problem