Securing NM running through joists in unfinished garage

Old 05-18-15, 02:23 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Securing NM running through joists in unfinished garage

I'm putting in a sub-panel and running 6/3 NM through the joists to the panel location on the opposite side of the garage. The garage/basement is ground level and unfinished.

I'm curious to know if there is a limit the the length of the run? It looks like it will be approx 50' perpendicular to the joist, then will run 5-ish feet on both ends along each joist.

Additionally, other than staples on the parallel joist runs, is there a way I should be securing the NM when it's going through the joists? Or does the parallel run with staples on each end do the job?

Thanks.

Old 05-18-15, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Staples are the preffered method of supporting/ securing cables, but any fitting that is listed for the purpose is fine. Cable that is pulled through holes drilled in framing members (studs/joists) are considered supported so no additional support is needed. When run parallel to the joists NM cable is required to be supported/secured every 4 1/2' minimum. There is no limit of length of run, unless it creates too much voltage drop which yours is no where near of having.

Old 05-18-15, 11:13 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Perfect. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: