Wisconsin Pool Wiring Help

Old 05-18-15, 09:16 PM
Wisconsin Pool Wiring Help

Looking for some help / guidance in Rock County, WI.

We are putting in a 27' above ground pool. The pool company is located in IL and stating that bonding is not required.

I am in a township outside city limits. I talked to the code enforcer to see what specific type of wiring or conduit is required (I am from NY and used to over the top requirements). The code enforcer / building inspector literally said, "Any wiring underground will work. As for the pump and bonding it is whatever the owners manual says."

That is very unhelpful for determining what I need to finish this project. Anyone that can offer some help / advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-15, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a lack of knowledge from your code officials.

What is the depth of the pool? What material is used to construct the pool?

Article 680 of the NEC deals with pools.

Old 05-19-15, 06:44 AM
Pool will have a 54" wall height and has Steel walls and resin bottom track, uprights and top rails.

Old 05-19-15, 07:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This one shouldn't be too bad. Double check this with your pool company, but this type of filter usually just needs a single 120V 20A circuit. Run 24" deep underground in PVC conduit to a 4x4 post in the pump area that is more than 5', but less than 10' from the pool rim. The receptacle for the pump should be a twist-lock type (5-20L) with an in-use plastic bubble cover. The circuit should have a 20A GFCI breaker. The portion of the wiring that is outside in the conduit should be individual conductor solid #12 THWN in black, white & green. Inside the house you can use #12 romex from the panel to a junction box at the start of the conduit if it would be too difficult to run the conduit through the house to the panel.

Any other electric receptacles or lights in the area must be a minimum of 10' from the pool rim and must be GFCI protected.

It sounds like bonding is something you could do, but may not necessarily be required. With a double-insulated pump and a plastic liner I'm not really sure what you would bond to anyway. I assume any decking around the pool will be wood or soil/grass? No concrete?

Old 05-19-15, 07:52 AM
The portion of the wiring that is outside in the conduit should be individual conductor solid #12 THWN in black, white & green.
Is it a code requirement for the conductors to be solid or your preference?

Old 05-19-15, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah I should have clarified. Only the green ground must be solid per code. The others can be stranded.

Old 05-19-15, 08:17 AM
Perfect. Thank you Ben. This is what I was planning---you are correct on the circuit required and this is what I was hoping to hear on bonding. Yes deck will be wood.