Red Wire in Receptacle

Old 05-18-15, 11:04 PM
Red Wire in Receptacle

Need help on this. I need to expand a current receptacle (on 20 amp circuit) to two in a gangbox. This is out in the garage and next to the washing machine, means that the receptacles need to be GFCI and Tamper to meet my city code.

I have changed receptacles before but usually with Black and White wires. This situation is two white wires and a red wire which I am not sure how to wire this. Do I treat the Red wire like the Black wire? Do I hook it up to the brass screw? Why is there two White wires and what am I supposed to do with the extra White wire?

These pictures show the current receptacle:
Name:  20150518_183808.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  25.8 KBName:  20150518_183817.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  25.2 KB

This is the new receptacle:
Name:  20150518_183741.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  27.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-15, 11:23 PM
Red is hot. Extra
White is probably going off towards another fixture

Mod Note: Reply does not make sense nor does the wiring given the information provided by the original poster.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-19-15 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 11:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I need to expand a current receptacle (on 20 amp circuit) to two in a gangbox
Are you changing out this single gang box to a two gang box with 2 receptacles or just wanting to swap out this single receptacle for a GFCI?

Old 05-18-15, 11:34 PM
I am changing from single gangbox to two gangbox with two receptacles.

Old 05-19-15, 12:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I intended to answer your question, but it appears as though you have a multi-wire branch circuit (MWBC). It also looks like it was wired wrong, with the neutrals going to the receptacle rather than pigtailed.

Please wait for further input.

Old 05-19-15, 01:46 AM
Group Moderator
Is this receptacle controlled by one or two breakers?
Is the receptacle controlled by a switch?
Please show us all the wires in the box.
Is this wired with cable or conduit?

Old 05-19-15, 03:08 AM
Is this receptacle controlled by one or two breakers? One Breaker
Is the receptacle controlled by a switch? I don't believe so. Just the Washing machine and dryer.
Please show us all the wires in the box. The second picture?
Is this wired with cable or conduit? It is inside the wall. I will put a metal junction box on the wall and wire the new receptacles (GFCI).

Old 05-19-15, 06:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect a MWBC using two single pole breakers. Looks like the blacks are spliced in the box.

Old 05-19-15, 06:39 AM
"Is this wired with cable or conduit?"

Can you use a flashlight and look into the back of the box and see whether there is a thin plastic or cloth jacket around the wires as they enter the box (cable wiring) or a closely fitting round metal jacket around the wires as they enter the box (flexible conduit) or a "pipe" or "pipe nipple" with loose fitting wires entering the box (rigid conduit) or the wires enter the box singly with no jacket (knob and tube wiring)?

If you are replacing the old plastic box with a new metal box, then screw in clamps are needed where the wires enter. The end of flexible conduit or a small amount of the jacket of cable must be visible just inside the box. The jacket or conduit may not end outside the box leaving a gap with the clamp coming down on the individual wires.

How many such clusters of wires enter the box?

What are the number and colors of wires in each incoming cluster?

To be absolutely correct, if black or other colored wires are connected directly to each other in the back of the box then the neutral white wires must also be connected directly to each other. Add a short length (pigtail) of the same color (here, white) to reach the receptacle from the new cluster of all white wires established in the box.

Caution: Do not unhook any wires without first labeling them and do not discard any old pieces or old components or the old receptacle until the project is finished and everything is working correctly.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-19-15 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-19-15, 07:48 AM
Is this wired with cable or conduit?
It's cable. If you look carefully you can see the sheathing of one cable inside the box and it also has a bare ground.

Old 05-23-15, 02:28 AM
Thank you to everyone. Weekend finally here and I will take the outlet apart and take a picture and post again tomorrow. Stay tune and thank you for the continue help.