Installing 4 prong cord on Kenmore 70 Series Dryer

Old 05-21-15, 10:54 AM
Installing 4 prong cord on Kenmore 70 Series Dryer

Hello! I removed the 3 prong cord from my dryer, but noticed that the green ground wire on my machine is not screwed into the actual machine - it has a metal clip and it was clipped to an inside edge of the machine. I have attached the new black and red wires to the outside posts and then attached the original ground wire and white wire to the middle post. The new green ground wire had no place to attach it to, so I removed a screw from the back of the machine and just screwed the green wire in with the same screw. It is fastened just outside of the plate that covers the wires, so I put electrical tape over it. Will this work? I have seen info that says I need to use a green screw to attach the ground wire? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-15, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
This is a common question in the Electrical forum so I have moved it there.
then attached the original ground wire and white wire to the middle post.
That is wrong for a four wire cord. When a four wire cord is used ground is not connected to neutral. The machine ground must be disconnected from the neutral. You need to check the manual for your machine to determine how that is done.

Old 05-21-15, 12:46 PM
So I have 2 ground wires now - what do I do with the original one. And the where do I attach the new ground wire that is on the new cord?

Old 05-21-15, 04:11 PM
Name:  dryer.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  24.3 KB

This is what I have. The smaller green wire was already attached to the dryer, but not with a screw. it just clips onto an inside edge on the dryer.

Old 05-21-15, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
You probably need to try a 10-32 machine screw on the small hole near the green wire. On some dryers one of the small white wires on the neutral need to be removed but with out seeing the specific instructions for your dryer I can't say. What is the exact model number?

Old 05-21-15, 04:28 PM
MDE9806AYW
Serial #13711556UM
My apologies! It's actually a Maytag.

Old 05-21-15, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
According to the instructions there should be a ground strap that should be disconnected and folded out of the way. I'm not seeing it. Was this previously connected for 3-wire? If you do have a strap where it fastens to the chassis is where the cord green goes. The manual is very 3-wire centric not giving much info on four wire.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-21-15 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
The machines use one or the other.... an actual metal strap or that green wire. Just tape the terminal off on the green wire so it can't hit anything.

Old 05-21-15, 07:56 PM
In the interest of safety, you need to post a new picture of terminal block with cord white wire removed temporarily. It looks like there is a bonding strap hiding behind the white wire of dryer cord.

If need be, remove entire cord so we can get a look at area below terminal block that the cord is now hiding.

Name:  dryerblock.jpg
Views: 2854
Size:  44.2 KB

Old 05-21-15, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone! I removed the strap and attached the smaller green wire to the middle post under the white wire. I then attached the larger green wire to a screw on the washer body. It works!

Old 05-21-15, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Good job.........

Old 05-22-15, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That was not correct. The center post is for the neutral (white) only. That connection with the white and green on the center is for a 3 wire cord. Please go back and fix this for your safety.

Old 05-22-15, 10:50 AM
Yes, it is correct. Somebody deleted my other post. That little green wire is not ground. The other end of it connects to neutral. This is why in later models, the wire color was changed to white. To avoid the confusion. The only reason for connecting it to the center terminal, is simply to have a place to put it. You either connect it there or just cut the terminal off. And BTW, the green wire gets connected to the metal chassis with a 3 wire cord, not to the center terminal. I don't know why this is always so difficult to understand.

Just to be certain, with cord unplugged from wall socket, check continuity of that little green wire to neutral and to the metal chassis. If you have continuity to neutral, then it's fine to connect it to the center terminal or cut it off. If you have continuity to ground, put it back where it was in the first place. It's odd that this dryer has the green wire AND a ground strap.

Last edited by fairbank56; 05-22-15 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 11:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Green or green with a yellow stripe is a designated color for a ground just as white or gray are reserved strictly for neutrals.

On a dryer with a three wire cord the ground and neutral are bonded together.

Old 05-22-15, 02:42 PM
True BUT, older dryer models that were typically connected with a 3 wire power cord used a green wire. One end of the green wire connected to neutral in the wiring harness. With a 3 wire cord, you would connect the other end of the wire which already has a terminal lug on it, to chassis ground. If you were to use a 4 wire cord with these dryers, you would connect the green wire to the center terminal of the connection block. This is simply to have a place to put it as you are essentially connecting it to itself, (neutral to neutral). This caused confusion and so they changed the wire color to white in all later models but you would still connect it to chassis ground if you are using a 3 wire cord. It is still confusing to most people including many "experienced" techs. It's really very simple though. With a 3 wire cord, neutral and ground are connected together at the dryer. With a 4 wire cord, they are not since you now have a dedicated ground wire in the cord.

Old 05-22-15, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The center is not the grounding connection. The center is for the neutral.

The green from a 4 wire cord attaches to the chassis of the dryer.

Old 05-22-15, 03:14 PM
Parts for Maytag MDE9806AYW: Wiring Information Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

Here's a link to the schematic drawing. Terminal Block is in the lower left hand corner.

Old 05-22-15, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
But no green wire shown. That diagram matches the very short mention of 4-wire connection in the owners manual I found.

Name:  snapshot32.jpg
Views: 2488
Size:  30.7 KB

Unless the original poster has a multimeter to test it I would strongly suggest he cut it off or cap it with a wire nut but deffinily not connect to the neutral.

Old 05-22-15, 03:35 PM
That is correct, I just wanted to show the diagram. No green on terminal block.

So just to recap:

New 4-wire cord: Remove bonding strap. Green from cord attached directly to chassis using screw.
Green that was clipped to chassis stays attached to chassis.

Old 05-22-15, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The older 3 wire dryers used the neutral conductor as the grounding means also. There was a bond strap that went between the chassis and the neutral terminal. This gets removed on a 4 wire setup.

Old 05-22-15, 03:48 PM
The center is not the grounding connection. The center is for the neutral.
Your not getting it. I'm not talking about the green wire in the four wire cord, I'm talking about the small green wire that is part of the dryer wiring harness.

Ground wires are rarely shown in appliance wiring diagrams.

Old 05-22-15, 04:09 PM
Maybe a couple photo's will convince you. The first dryer has a 4 wire cord connected to it. It previously had a 3 wire cord connected. The smaller green wire was connected to the metal chassis where the 4 wire cord green wire is now connected. When going to the 4 wire cord, you disconnect that green wire from the metal chassis and connect it to the center terminal and then connect the green wire from the 4 wire cord to the metal chassis. The other end of that little green wire does not connect to the metal chassis, it connects to neutral either at the back of the center terminal connection block or elsewhere. The only reason to connect it to the center terminal is simply to have somewhere to put it since it had to be disconnected from the metal chassis. It is NOT connecting ground to neutral because like I said, the other end of it is NOT grounded. With newer dryer models, this wire has been changed to white but it's function is the same. The second photo shows a newer model dryer that has the white wire. Serves the same function as the green wire in the first photo. If the OP cannot verify whether the other end of the small green wire connects to the chassis or to neutral, it should be connected where it was in the first place.