Installing floodlight on roof

Old 05-23-15, 11:18 PM
Installing floodlight on roof

I have two questions;

First: I need to install a flood light to the exterior of my barn. However it's on the side where the roof is shingled. Tar based roofing shingles. So, how do I install the box without giving my roof a nice leak? And by box I "planned" on an exterior 1 gang box, with a lighting cover to screw the light into.

Second: I just installed 6 T5 florescent fixtures into the same barn. Now I don't receive FM radio signal anymore... There is a 5ft field around the barn where I get no signal, and it would seem extending an antenna beyond this line doesn't solve the problem. I've googled, and the 2 solutions I found are to contact the manufacturer for different ballasts, but they don't make any. And the second being an RF choke, however I can't find enough information about said choke to put it to use.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-15, 04:13 AM
Install the light on the barn wall just under the eaves.

I have never heard of a light fixture installed on the roof.

Old 05-24-15, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with AllanJ and would not install a light fixture in the roof.

As for the radio interference I'd first try plugging the radio's cord in the other way if possible. If that doesn't work I'd try a ferrite core on the power cord. Split ones are available so you can just clip it over the radio's power cord without having to remove the plug.

Old 05-24-15, 04:38 AM
You will probably will need to buy better quality lights to solve your RF issues.

Old 05-24-15, 08:28 AM
I'll look into the ferrite core, and when I bought the light I thought I was buying good quality ones... each light fixture was $40...

As for the roof light, It cant go under the eaves, not high enough The purpose is to cast light over the pool that's is next to the barn. For years we've had a plug in flood light mounted on the roof, but my father put that in years ago, and I have a better chance of winning the lottery than I do finding out he did it correctly. I'm sure I'm going to get to this portion of the remodel and find out I need to replace part of the roof...

Old 05-24-15, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
The ballasts are high voltage switching type. The switching noise is radiated out into the air. There is very little way of stopping it. One thing is to make sure the fixtures and the shields are well grounded. Chokes will stop noise going back thru power wiring but do absolutely nothing for directly radiated noise.

I have seen a light mounted to a roof. They took and stuck a piece of wood to the roof with tar and then fastened the light to the wood. The wood looked to be 3/4" plywood that was tar coated also.

Old 05-24-15, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would mount a pole to the side of the barn or a free standing one with the light at top. Mounting a box on the roof is just asking for trouble. You can put all the goop you want, it will still eventually fail.

Old 05-24-15, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
The mount I saw was strictly tarred in place. No fasteners thru the roof.

Old 05-24-15, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Sort of like how I see satellite dishes mounted to roofs sometimes. A frame straddles the ridge and is weighted down with cement blocks and the dish mounts to the frame.

Also, take a look at how small home satellite dishes are mounted to roofs. They just drill through the roof and bolt them down, sealing with silicone. It's not perfect or proper but it can work.