Meter socket question

Old 05-28-15, 08:56 AM
Meter socket question

I have a 100 Amp service and main panel. We found some corrosion on the neutral bar in the meter socket plus the old service entrance wire is cloth sheath which someone wrapped with electrical tape. My electrician said it won't pass inspection, so we're going with PVC coated SE wire. Can I use a socket rated at 125 amp on my 100 Amp service with out any inspection issues? My main is 100 Amp.

Also, I was going to run 4-4-4-4 aluminum wire to a shed with a 60A breaker. I see Home Depot only sells 2-2-2-4 Al or 6-6-6-6 Al cable. I'm thinking now 2-2-2-4 with a 90A breaker instead.....any issues with that?

I can get 4-4-4-4 online but it comes out more expensive with shipping than HD at about $1.60/foot.

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-15, 01:09 PM
We found some corrosion on the neutral bar in the meter socket plus the old service entrance wire is cloth sheath which someone wrapped with electrical tape.
Neither condition is anything to be too worked upped over. Tape over the deteriorating outer sheath is an acceptable repair. Surface corrosion on the neutral bar in the meter enclosure means little.

My electrician said it won't pass inspection,...
Inspection by who? The government electrical inspector is unlikely to ever look at it unless you call him/her. The utility is unlikely to ever "inspect" it after they have made their initial connections. Although possible, it is doubtful any insurance inspector will look at it unless you decide to greatly increase your coverage beyond what would be "normal" for your house and neighborhood. That leaves a "home inspector" that gives his OPINION of a house for use in buying and selling the house. Truth be told, most home inspectors are NOT well-versed in electrical matters and they are often mistaken when it comes to electrical issues.

On the other hand, a licensed electrician should know what is acceptable and what is not in the geographical area in which he/she works. Then again, your electrician may just be looking for work. Either way I would get at least a second opinion and maybe even a third.

Can I use a socket rated at 125 amp on my 100 Amp service with out any inspection issues?
It is the utility that defines the meter socket requirements. Most utilities have standardized on 200 ampere sockets. Some want additional features. You need to get the requirements from your serving utility.

Also, I was going to run 4-4-4-4 aluminum wire to a shed with a 60A breaker. I see Home Depot only sells 2-2-2-4 Al or 6-6-6-6 Al cable. I'm thinking now 2-2-2-4 with a 90A breaker instead.....any issues with that?
Maybe. It depends upon how you are going to run the cable and what its insulation type is. Some insulation types cannot under any circumstances enter a building.

One note. How did you gain access to the meter socket? They are supposed to be sealed by the utility and tampering with the seal may subject you to a serious fine. Some utilities do allow licensed electricians to remove the seal as long as the utility is notified in a timely manner.

Old 05-28-15, 06:03 PM
Was the corrosion on the neutral caused by water leaking into the socket? When you say cloth covered cable are you talking about the entire cable?
Geo