Leviton timers in parallel

Old 05-31-15, 09:31 PM
Leviton timers in parallel

A few years ago our electrician connected two Leviton timers in parallel to drive a remote fan load. These are the timers:

LTB60-1LZ > Preset Timer Switches > Electronic Timer Switches > Lighting Controls > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

The timers have failed a few times over the years, and apparently you aren't supposed to connect them in parallel (meaning either of the two timers can drive the fan load).

I did some research, and could solve the problem with a bit of rewiring and a Switch Remote from Leviton like this one:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Levit...sp?item=305771

But I'd rather have the two timers in parallel, and stick with that Leviton product because it matches others in our house. That leads me to the question:

Is there a product that can take two switched 120v inputs (on a single circuit), power a single output when either or both of the inputs is hot, and isolate the inputs from one another?

If we call the output from the timers 'A' and 'B' and make those the inputs to my desired product; it would pass through only one of 'A' or 'B' when hot. The other input would be isolated. Examples:

A hot -> Output hot from A, B isolated
B hot -> Output hot from B, A isolated
A and B hot -> Output hot from A or B, other input isolated

I think this could be recreated with two relays and a third input 'C' that was always hot. The switched inputs A and B would trigger the relays allowing C through to the fan load. So perhaps this is the device I want... just something that combines multiple relays for one supply?

Thanks for ideas.

Last edited by schickb; 05-31-15 at 09:34 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-15, 10:47 PM
Maybe I'll just order two of these:
http://www.functionaldevices.com/pdf...ets/RIBU1S.pdf

Old 06-01-15, 05:29 AM
What exactly are you trying to do?
Geo

Old 06-01-15, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
What size of a load are you running with the switches? I suspect the switches failing is because of connected load and not because they are connected in parallel.

I have used the RIB relays before and they work very well.

Old 06-01-15, 08:49 AM
The load is 120v 2.5 Amps. I don't think that is the problem because the same timers are connected to the same fans in other locations, but one-to-one.

Old 06-01-15, 08:54 AM
@Geochurchi The short version is: Control a single fan with multiple timer switches. Using specifically the timers from Leviton that I linked to. If either timers is on, then the fan should be on.

The actual application is a single exhaust fan that is ducted to two bathrooms. There are timers in each bathroom to switch the one shared fan.

Old 06-01-15, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
I think you are experiencing natural timer failure.

If the timers were incompatible they would fail almost instantly. You can't connect two electronic switched devices in parallel. That would be a device that doesn't use a neutral.

The timer you linked to requires a neutral. That means the timer has a relay and can be connected in parallel with others.

You could use two RIB relays like Tolyn mentioned but I'd doubt it would help.

Old 06-01-15, 11:34 PM
@PJmax The docs on that timer actually say this:

"Use only one (1) Leviton electronic countdown timer switch in a multi-location circuit with up to 9 coordinating remote switches..."

I'm going to try the relays to isolate the timers, so I guess we'll find out in about a year which is the historic failure rate of the timers. I'd assume relays would help anyway if the timer failures were caused by some characteristic of the motor load. Just hope the relays can handle it (seems to be clearly within the RIBU1S specs).