Light Switch

Old 06-02-15, 01:58 AM
Light Switch

Hard to find info on a 2 gang box with two light switches. I have line power coming in (14/2), with two separate lines going out (14/2) to two different lights.
I know what to do with the grounds and neutrals (and grounding the box), but the incoming hot has me second guessing myself. Do I pigtail the hot with two leads, with each lead going to a switch? Or do I take the hot to one switch and then make a lead to go from that switch to the other? The switches I got have three terminals plus the push in holes. One of the terminals says 'common'...I see now I accidentally got three way switches, but they should be code compliant? thx

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-15, 02:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The three way switches need to be returned and SPST switches purchased for this application. All neutrals will be tied together. You only switch the black wires. Your hot coming in can be pigtailed to each switch. The remaining black wires going to your fixtures will be connected to the other switch screws. Hope this helped.

Old 06-02-15, 03:15 PM
Thanks Chandler. Was hoping to get by with the wrong switches...

Old 06-02-15, 05:04 PM
You can still use the three-way switches. Wire the power to the black screw and then use one of the other screws to continue to the light. If the light is off when the switch handle is up then transfer the light wire to the other screw...unless you want the up position to be off. Make sure the unused screw is tight before finishing the job.