Permits

Old 03-31-01, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Not realy a question.
I see all this stuff about home owners being able to do electrical work, thats all in well good but in my comunity, a city (Wheeling WV) they have changed the permit fee structure to allow for a wide range of services being done from a few recptacles, to a service change. What I am talking about is money.......When you do the work the local government wants thier cut, also its nice to know when this work is being done, I hope it is for the home owners protection, that an inspector will come and look at the work and make sure it is being done right the first time, and not a danger to the home owner, no shortcuts in electrical work, lots of fires all the time, blamed on electrical work.
When work is done by a contractor and its wrong and no permits or lisc. were issued all the city will want is its money and maybe fine you. You will be out money for a contractor, who may or might not make it right..........do not pay untill it is inspected and passed, this will enable you to have it done right or use the money to have it fixed.
Check and see what is required before you do anything

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-01, 01:22 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
FLYTYER

I know it is hard to do anything these days without some government regulation and rules, permits, etc. and we all want to think it is in the our own interest to do it that way, sometimes a lot of us may think it is just another way for the government to make money. I think though some regulation and rules are needed in order to help keep us all safe from our own lack of experience or misfortunes.

However we at DIY can't condone or advice anyone to bypass any permit, but at at the same time regardless of what you say , it happens all the time, and even though I would never directly advice anyone to bypass a regulation such as permits, it happens , all in the interest of saving money, lets face money is not all that easy to come by for a lot of people.

We aim for those who simply want to do it themeselves , to give them enough advice that an unsafe situation is less likely to occur, we aim to advice in such a way that it would be able to pass an inspection should one occur. we have several very knowledgeable people on here that we act as our crosschecks for each other and between us all , the correct advice does get thru.

Old 04-01-01, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
This was not a statment about the quality of the advice given, it is quite good, and I like to read it. I am an electrician and agree with most of the advice, but some times I see the person asking the question not realy knowing what the question should be. As in the case of the unbonded neutural, and his leap of faith in reversing the polairity of the wires, which solved his problem, but created another set of problems, which was cause for concern and needed action right then.
In a lot of the cases you have to beg the writer for more information.
The posts were days apart, the advice was right, but the inspection procedure or just having an electrician come and give advice to the home owner costs little or no charge, and can save a lot of grief in the long run.
What you do today may not show up for a long time
WV-M01064

Old 04-01-01, 04:45 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Boy I knew I was forgetting something. Now that you mention money there are a few of us that are Inspectors, Governmental Officials and work for money all in the same persons.

Now it could take me a few days but I am sure that I could get rich from all the hours that I spent replying in this forum. I'll start right away writing up all those bills so the money can come rolling in.

Sorry for the above reply, but I think that if you really looked most of the Inspectors out there getting paid by those user fees called permits are overworked and underpaid compared to what they could make in the work force.

I agree you will find a few burned out or a few that don't care but most permit fees go to a good thing.

I also believe that if you will really think about it the more dense our population becomes the more rules we are going to have to deal with like Inspectors.

If an Inspector is doing his job right then he is there to tell you what you can do not necessarily what you can't do. There are several Inspectors that reply in this forum for nothing other than to promote knowledge and safety as a service to people we seldom even get a thaks from.

Try not to think negative. Try to think that the next house you buy that was wired before you got there was inspected by a good Inspector to ensure that what is behind the walls of the house you are buying for your children to sleep in is safe.

As for the fines. They are there for the same reason that we seldom see some idiot driving through town at 100 miles an hour while our child is crossing the street. He just doesn't want to pay that fine.

Oh one more thing. That house that you may have wired or may wire in the future that caught fire, the inspector may be your best friend when they sue you for everything you own or have worked for in you lifetime. Only he is the uninterested party that was skilled who issued that inspection approval that probably will be your only proof that you wired it right in the first place.

As a DIYer when your house burns down and that independant investigater working for your insurance company issues a report that unsafe wiring was installed, maybe that permit you bought and than inspector you got an approval from may just have saved you from sleeping in the streets.

Now that you think about it maybe that permit was cheap insurance for you, both.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 04-01-01, 07:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry Wgoodrich, it wasn't my intention to put down inspectors they serve a much needed service but I think I did speak of the perception that a lot of public have, and the reality that happens in real life. But they are very much needed, and there would would be a lot more tragic situations if we didn't have them.

Old 04-02-01, 03:53 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm an IAEI member, and i'd gladly send them bullets instead of dues if they could weed out all the wanna-bees wiring for others. Don't get me wrong here, but to wire for yourself is ONE thing, to wire for a buck is another. I come across time-bombs everyday, because a GC did'nt want to hire a proper tradesman for the job, and he knows there are'nt enough inspectors to go around.

Old 04-02-01, 06:44 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
It was not my intentiin to depict irritation. I see this type of atmosphere toward Code Enforcement all the time. Yet the ones who feel that they are just being sucked of money for nothing doesn't realize that the Inspector that was his pain in the back side will be his best friend and only proof he wired it right when his insurance company refuses to pay a claim becuase of a claim the it wasn't wired right.

The sarcasm was intended only to get peoples attention, then the rest of the content of my reply was intended to show the value and that most Inspectors do really care.

Like electricians and all other people in the world we have a few bad apples the causes the smell in the barrel.

I'm fine with all who have made the post or replied in this post. Just trying to show the value of a life safety officer. Especially the ones who try to tell you what you can do not necessarily what you can't do. You know those that try to educate instead of punish.

Stay in there

Wg

Old 04-03-01, 04:27 AM
Visiting Guest
fellas;
from what i've read you guys don't have an offensive sylable in you.

Old 04-03-01, 01:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I think all of the advice here is great and I don't have a problem with inspectors. I DO have a problem with some of the regulations passed by city governments. I think the wheeling example is wonderful, I bypass permits sometimes as a DIY'er because I just don't see the logic in paying for a 25$ permit for every little thing I do as a home owner. Big projects, yes, permits are great. If I want to do something small like add an outlet I am perfectly capable of doing this and doing it to code and safely. I have to admit I read some of the questions here and agree that some people have no business even taking off an outlet cover. The example of bad apples is also true. In our city most people hate the inspectors because they treat evryone like idiots, won't give anyone a break on a fine, and take any opportunity while in your house to eye up everything else that "might" have come under the permit system. I live in an old neighborhood with many old houses that people are struggling to upgrade as money allows. It seems ridiculous that an inspector can't understand that you can only afford to upgrade the wiring in one room at a time. Some of us are sick of hearing "you have added to the wiring and the whole circuit must now meet code". I wish I had all of you guys that post here as our local inspectors, we would love to have someone so helpful.

Old 04-03-01, 01:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I guess your the other side of the coin Sir Skunk, you've got inspectors and permits galore. We need to start at least a 3 alarm fire to get any attention.