Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installed a 60 amp subpanel next to main panel... feedback?

Old 06-04-15, 09:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I just recently undertook installing a subpanel next to my current main panel. I did the following:
1) I installed a quad tandem to my dryer, opening up two additional 20a circuits.

2) I moved an existing tandem (2 circuits) over to the two open 20a circuits on the quad.

3) took my fire alarm AFCI circuit (which was under the previous tandem, which once this circuit is removed, opens two circuit spots for a 2 pole breaker) and attached it to a bedroom (I pigtailed the bedroom breaker to the fire alarm and bedroom circuit)

4) Installed a 60 amp double pole breaker and attached two black 6 gauge copper (Lowes was out of red so I got two blacks) wires to the double pole breaker. Also attached a 6 gauge white to the neutral bar. 8 gauge green wire to the ground bar.

5) I purchased a 100 AMP Eaton Main Breaker Load Center (Value Pack) from Lowes, I swapped out the main breaker with a 60amp double pole. (Although it is protected at the main, my OCD went crazy and spent the $10 to make them match). I outlined the panel to the wall, used a sheetrock knife (or whatever its called) and cut out a big hole right next to the main panel.

NOTE: The stud the main is attached to is also where the sub attaches to, with basic wood screws.
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  31.6 KB
Once this whole was cut...the hard part was drilling through the stud to make a hole big enough to fit a 2" nipple through. This nipple (with one screw ring on each side sealing it to the box) will contain the 4 wires for the sub panel, as well as any new circuits that will be created or moved from the main.
The two pics below show the connection the nipple makes...
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2941
Size:  39.9 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  34.1 KB

Once done, I started making connections with the wires... and I DID unbond the ground and neutral bars. The main ground attaches to the lug on the right, and the neutral main attaches to one of the screws on the bar.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 8116
Size:  33.3 KB

I used two of the breakers that came with the pack and moved a 20 amp tandem circuit (2 circuits) over (extended with wire nuts and 12 gauge THHN wire through the 2" nipple) and everything works so far!

My plans are to eventually have all circuits non-tandem, with AFCI protection... main purpose was to make room in the main panel for future expansion as well as for a pool subpanel coming in the next few weeks, so another double pole breaker will be in the main soon.

Any feed back?

Old 06-05-15, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just one observation before you go too far. Install insulated bushings over your nipple ends. Halex 2 in. Rigid Plastic Insulated Bushing (4-Pack)-27526 - The Home Depot

Old 06-05-15, 05:57 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
You do have locknuts on the outside of both panels and then 1 each on the inside of the panels?also plastic bushing should be installed as previously mentioned

Old 06-07-15, 07:37 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
3) took my fire alarm AFCI circuit (which was under the previous tandem, which once this circuit is removed, opens two circuit spots for a 2 pole breaker) and attached it to a bedroom (I pigtailed the bedroom breaker to the fire alarm and bedroom circuit)
Fire Alarm circuit? Surely you don't have a real fire alarm, full blown with smokes, water flows, heat detection, horn/strobes, etc.

Old 06-07-15, 08:29 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smoke detector is what I meant. Sorry. There is a smoke detector in each room on a wired circuit and a backup 9v battery in each, it had its own dedicated circuit. Seen where it could be on a bedroom circuit so I pigtailed off a bedroom to free that spot up.

Old 06-07-15, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 867 Upvotes on 730 Posts
You do have locknuts on the outside of both panels and then 1 each on the inside of the panels?
This is not required as he is not using the nipple for a grounding path. He has installed an equipment ground and bonded the two panels together. He could also install bonding bushings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: