Multiple 220V outlets on a single circuit

Old 06-07-15, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multiple 220V outlets on a single circuit

I have a 6-50P/50a outlet (220V) outlet run off a short piece of 8-2 in my garage near the panel. I use it to run a welder, but I'd like to add a second outlet for plasma cutter to the same circuit since the panel is already full (including all of the slotted breaker positions already being populated with skinny breakers).

I read that NEC requires permanently installed appliances have their own dedicated circuits, but these loads aren't permanent even though they're 220V and I don't have room to additional double pole breakers.

I also read that when you wire multiple outlets on a circuit, you want to make a pigtail, rather than wiring each outlet directly off the last, that way each outlet only carries current for the load plugged into it.

Could I make a pigtail using a copper split bolt like this for each leg, stick that in a J-box and use it to feed multiple 6-50P outlets, provided there are never more than 50 amps of connected loads drawing power at the same time?

The welder is rated up to 24 amps and the plasma cutter is 30 amps.

Thanks!
Jacob

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-15, 02:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The problem isn't with two receptacles on the same breaker as it's what each machine requires for overload protection. A welder requiring 24A is not being protected properly on a 50A breaker.
Same basic issue with the 30A plasma cutter.

I have a sub panel and my receptacles each come out of it with their own breaker.

Old 06-08-15, 06:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
There is no need for split bolts. Large wire nuts will accommodate 2 #6's.

Old 06-08-15, 07:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yes you can have multiple outlets on a 240V circuit. PJ brings up a decent point that you should verify with the manual or nameplate of each machine that a 50A circuit is ok. Welders are generally quite flexible on breaker size so it's probably ok, but verification can't hurt. Even if the plasma does need a smaller breaker, you could put a fusible disconnect on the plasma's receptacle with 30A fuses.

Old 06-09-15, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pcboss: which size wire nuts would you use to connect 3 8AWG wires to make a pigtail to wire two outlets in parallel?

Thanks,
Jacob

Old 06-09-15, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Check the label, but a large blue or grey should work.