Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Possible to add an outlet to this wiring? ( One 3-wire cable with 2 switches)

Old 06-16-15, 03:07 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, Long time lurker first time posting, this is a great forum.

I would like to add an always hot outlet off of this 2 light switch setup. There is only one 3-wire cable (White, Black, Red, Ground ) coming into the switch box that houses 2 separate switches. Each switch controls its own light. I found a diagram that shows exactly how the 2 switches are currently wired from this single cable :

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1858
Size:  21.2 KB

I tried adding the outlet using the wiring diagram below. It gave me power to the outlet only if both switches were in the off position. It also made the switches go funny, like flipping one would turn both lights on, and power to the outlet was cut.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  14.5 KB

What is the proper wiring to add an outlet off of this single 3 wire? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much for any help!

Old 06-16-15, 03:32 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You have to find a neutral. The white wire that you see is not a neutral as shown by the black pig tail.

Old 06-16-15, 03:38 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You can't. The switch is a switch loop. There is no neutral therefore no power. The white at the switch is not a neutral.

Old 06-16-15, 04:17 AM
S
Thanks so much for the replies guys. Ray, I had read in another thread you wrote :

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-switch.html#b

where you recommended in a similar situation to use 14/3 so that the neutral would be carried to the switch and so hoped as this was already 14/3 then it was already the case. Also the pigtail isn't black like the pic I posted but rather still white with no black tape so I had hoped it wasn't the case. Guessing by your response that in my case as there are 2 switches even though it's 14/3 it's being used like 2 14/2 cables.

So to add the outlet I would need to go from the light where the neutral is located. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Old 06-16-15, 04:41 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
See if there is a neutral that passes behind the switch box. Sometimes it takes the same route.

Old 06-16-15, 04:44 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
In your case the white is power in ans red and black are switched power out to two loads. The white should have been remarked black or any color but green or gray using bands of tape or felt tip marker.
where you recommended in a similar situation to use 14/3 so that the neutral would be carried to the switch and so hoped as this was already 14/3 then it was already the case.
It is 14-3 but in that case only one switch. In this case two switches so you would need 14-4.
So to add the outlet I would need to go from the light
Or a nearby unrestricted receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: