Found a dead covered outlet box outside

Old 06-11-15, 02:30 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Found a dead covered outlet box outside

We had only been in the house for almost 2 years now.... but rarely venture to this particular side of the house .... as there is nothing there... just dirt :-)
anyway.... decided to stick up one of those Intex pools up for the kids summer and went to plug it in but figured there had to be an outlet closer than where i had power.... Eureka! i found a metal plate marked 'wet location' covering an electrical location. I opened it up and found a ground, a white and a black wire.... just capped but looked to never have even been stripped to be used.
i stripped back wires and connected to the new outlet (used the screws... not push in connectors).... turned power back on and nothing :-( booooo
so i am just 'guessing' but it was wired for future use by someone, but doesnt have a fuse in the fuse box? any ideas? is this as simple as 'add' a fuse to bos and we are in business? or did i miss something here?

Old 06-11-15, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Welcome.

First, is this an actual metal or plastic box used for housing receptacles and not just a hole in the wall.

2. Did you install a GFCI receptacle? If so it needs to be reset after initial installation.

3. Do you have a meter to test for AC voltage?

Old 06-11-15, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have a feeling it is protected by a GFCI somewhere. Search around the outside of the house and in your basement/crawlspace/garage for a GFCI that has tripped. It will be behind boxes stacked there when you moved in.

Old 06-11-15, 04:25 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
it was wired for future use by someone, but doesnt have a fuse in the fuse box? any ideas? is this as simple as 'add' a fuse to bos and we are in business?
You need to consider upgrading your electric service to a modern circuit breaker panel service.

Old 06-11-15, 06:00 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Follow where the line leads to from the outlet box. Does it go directly to the circuit box or is it being tapped off another circuit?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: