Small Nick in Neutral Wire Insulation

Old 06-14-15, 01:06 PM
Small Nick in Neutral Wire Insulation

I was wondering if someone could help me. I was in the process of replacing a smoke/carbon monoxide detector, and I noticed that there is a very small nick in the neutral insulation. It does not appear to be deep, as I cannot see the copper wire. Is there anything that I can do? I wasn't sure if I should leave it alone, tape it, or use some other means. I'm not familiar with the NEC requirements for this type of issue. I've included a picture below. It's on the left side of the wire (near the top). I appreciate any assistance.

Name:  IMG_0423.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  23.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-15, 01:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums. Place heat shrink tubing on the neutral wire for an inch or so, shrink it in place. They are called wire strippers, not gouging pliers Using the proper tools help eliminate problems like this. Looks as if your hot wire took a light hit, too.

Old 06-14-15, 01:22 PM
Thanks. The hot wire is actually in good condition. It may be paint that you are seeing in the picture. I'm not sure how the nick got on the neutral insulation. I'm assuming that it was already there. I didn't even touch that area. Can I get something like this at Home Depot or Lowes?

Old 06-14-15, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heat shrink is fairly readily available.

Before shrinking I would check the integrity of the conductors. That black looks pretty bad. I would bet they used a razor knife to slit the sheath.

Old 06-14-15, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Buy white or gray color if possible.