Running outdoor wiring to deck

Old 06-14-15, 10:23 PM
Running outdoor wiring to deck

Hey everyone. I live n Iowa and just built a new deck that I would like to run a couple outlets to.

I have basic knowledge of wiring. I have done a few outlets and switches adding the breakers to the main box. I feel confident I can do this on my own, just wanting some opinions on what I should use.

I have a shed close by the deck that is already wired, but I plan on getting rid of the shed. I want to use the service from it and move it to my deck. The wiring comes through the exterior siding like this and goes straight underground to the shed that's about 10 feet from there. My deck is about 5 feet to the left of this.

My city code goes by the NEC so I want to make sure everything is done right.

It will not be going underground but everything should still be watertight. I may be able to dig up enough of the flexable metal conduit going to the shed to make a run to the deck, or should I just replace the conduit coming out the wall with a rigid conduit fitting and some type of flexable conduit to the deck? From there I'm guessing I would just run another flexable conduit on to the only other outlet I need.

Am I on the right track, or is there a better way of doing this?

THX. Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-15, 10:53 PM
Group Moderator
The wiring to your shed appears to be a code violation. Most FMC is not rated for wet locations.

Old 06-14-15, 11:26 PM
This wiring was put in before I bought the house 13 years ago. I didn't figure it was up to code, but want to make sure the deck wiring is up to code.

Old 06-15-15, 12:07 AM
Group Moderator
That wire has been in use for over thirteen years ? Really amazing the steel shell is still intact.

Old 06-15-15, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the best thing is to remove what is there and start out fresh. PVC conduit is easy to work with.

Old 06-16-15, 11:48 PM
I will definitely remove the old conduit and start fresh. Looing at it before it goes out the wall, it looks like it is Romex type wire. That will have to be changed to THHN I assume?

I don't know if flexable watertight conduit or ridged pvc conduit is used most of the time in outdoor deck situations, but the flexable stuff looks like it would be a whole lot easier to install. Is a combination of ridged for the longer straight runs and flexable for turns and short runs a common way of doing it?

Old 06-19-15, 11:28 PM
That's how I'm going to do it.

Old 06-20-15, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
Normally just schedule 40 PVC conduit with individual conductors or UF cable sleeved with PVC for protection where needed is used. Weatherproof flex conduit is more expensive and normally not used.

Old 06-20-15, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Most FMC is not rated for wet locations.
FMC was allowed outdoors up until about the 2005 code cycle.

Old 06-20-15, 10:38 AM
The old cable looks more like AC which wasn't allowed in wet/damp locations even in 1999