My new cabin with old wiring...Grounding questions

Old 06-17-15, 07:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My new cabin with old wiring...Grounding questions

Good day everyone!

I have some questions about the electrical system of my new cabin. First off, I'll give my observations of what I have found so far:

1. The main panel does not appear to be grounded. The main service is 100 or 200 amp. There are two hot wires coming in and there is a wire to the neutral bus bar. The neutral bus bar is bonded with the ground bus bar. There is nothing attached to the ground bus bar.

2. There is a large Wineguard TV antenna installed on the roof. The only wire that is coming from the antenna is the coax cable that hangs down the side of the cabin and runs directly into the living room.

3. Most of the outlets are two-prong.

4. Is it ok to ground the panel to a well water piping system? The pipe coming into the cabin is copper, but converts to pvc after about 5 feet. The well casing is only a few feet outside the basement wall, though.

I would like to do some updating of the electrical. Any suggestion about where I should start?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-15, 08:53 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The metal water piping should be bonded to the panel. There should also be at least one ground rod to the panel. The antenna should have a lightning arestor grounded back to the panel.

Old 06-17-15, 11:16 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
If your well casing is steel, run a bare #6 copper wire from the main panel ground bar to the steel well casing and attach it with one of these. They make them to fit up to 6" pipe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52090[/ATTACH]

Otherwise if the well is plastic, you'll need to install two ground rods with acorn clamps and bond those back to the panel with the bare #6 copper wire.

Ray is right about bonding the metal plumbing, but keep in mind that is different from the grounding.

I would like to do some updating of the electrical. Any suggestion about where I should start?
Add GFCI protection to all of the ungrounded receptacle circuits and to all kitchen, bath, outdoor, and garage/basement/storage receptacles.

Attached Images  
Old 06-17-15, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Just a small point, the lack of a grounding electrode system has nothing to do with the ability to have grounded receptacles. The systems have entirely different purposes.

Old 06-17-15, 06:41 PM
Received 84 Votes on 74 Posts
The neutral bus bar is bonded with the ground bus bar. There is nothing attached to the ground bus bar.
The neutral busbar is supposed to be bonded to the panel box and ground bar so that is fine. The Grounding Electrode Conductor terminates on the neutral busbar, not the ground bar. I'd like to see a picture of the main panel with the cover and door removed, if that is possible.