fan motor part discrepancy

Old 06-22-15, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
fan motor part discrepancy

I need to replace the motor in a bathroom exhaust fan, make/model Nutone 694-B. When I looked up the part on several places online there seems to be some discrepancy in regard to the shaft length. The part number is Nutone 68738000. It's part #6 as shown here, which describes a 1 5/8" length shaft: NUTONE FANS 694

But here it shows the same part number but the shaft is apparently longer, described as being 1 3/4" in length: 65878000 Nutone Vent Bathroom Fan Ventilator Motor | eBay

And as well, this other source Nutone 65878000 Ventilation Fan Motor | eBay shows the same part number but the picture shows an obviously significantly longer shaft than on the motor I need to replace (which looks to me to be probably 1 5/8" long like the part at the first link here).

So I wonder why the discrepancy? The motors in the second and third links with the longer shafts otherwise look the same as what I need to replace. I could save 10 bucks or so in cost plus the shipping if I ordered the longer shaft ones but it seems those wouldn't fit right with the longer shaft like that. The fan make/model is Nutone 694-B.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-15, 11:58 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
The 1/8" discrepancy in the shaft length is probably insignificant. Buy the less expensive option.

Old 06-22-15, 01:17 PM
Okay but to me the shaft on the less expensive option(s) looks in the picture(s) even more than 1/8" longer, although I suppose the way it looks in those pictures could be deceiving. Here's a photo of my old motor shaft, which actually seems to be closer to 1 1/2" than 1 5/8". Would you not agree that the shaft as shown in the less expensive option pictures looks rather too long maybe compared to my original? Any further comment appreciated.

Old 06-22-15, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,046 Votes on 970 Posts
The shaft length is not critical. There should be plenty of room for the extra 1/8-1/4.

Old 06-22-15, 10:00 PM
Good to hear. Because I already went ahead and ordered the less expensive option. Thanks guys for the input.

Edit: That's also why the second link my first post here no longer shows the item, because there was only one, and I bought it!