Running power to a shed can this wire wire be used?

Old 06-23-15, 11:50 AM
Running power to a shed can this wire wire be used?

I want to have power to the shed which is APX 30-50 feet from the outlet I am referring to.

There is one dedicated 20a circuit that goes to only one outlet)
in the garage on an outside wall (but still inside the garage) I believe it is dedicated as I can't figure anything else on it but I will have the electrician verify that. I think it was for the shed but the wires was removed underground going to the shed as I see the cut wires at the shed and near this outlet.

My town just goes by national codes and does not have any other requirements.

That circuit is 12g romex that has 2 wires plus the non insulated copper wire. The house uses Romex everywhere too.

All I need is a standard light and one outlet.
Can they use that circuit to run the wires underground or will new wires have to be ran to the panel?

If I buy the underground wire and rent the ditch witch to dig the hole is it easy to find an electrician to come and hook it all up or am I going to have a hard time finding someone because they want to do all the work?

Will the ditch witch cut through tree roots? I have a big tree nearby and the roots are in the pathway.

Any other ways of getting the wire underground?
The pathway for the wire is only grass and tree roots.

I know they can run cable tv cable under driveways with some machine but don't know if they can do that with electrical wires and go 30-50 feet across plus 3' down or whatever the requirements are.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-15, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use #12 UF-B cable directly buried at 24" depth, 18" depth if you use PVC conduit or 12" depth if there is GFCI protection before the cable goes underground. There should be conduit sleeves at the entrance and exit of the trench in any case.

Depends on what size ditch witch you get, but yes a chain trencher will cut through roots. Don't go too close to the tree or you could kill it. Alternative digging methods exist. You can dig a pit or trench on either side and do make shift horizontal boring using a length of conduit or pipe as a "drill bit". Run a garden hose through it to make a hydraulic drill, liquifying a tunnel of soil and advancing the pipe through it. This is a reasonable way to get a few feet under a driveway or walkway. This certainly could work to get under big chunks of the root system of a big tree.

Old 06-23-15, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Can they use that circuit to run the wires underground
Yes.
If I buy the underground wire and rent the ditch witch to dig the hole is it easy to find an electrician to come and hook it all up or am I going to have a hard time finding someone because they want to do all the work?
Probably. You need to verify. Wires will require conduit. Better to use cable, UF specifically. Assuming the receptacle feeding the new line is GFCI or GFCI protected and your feed is therefore GFCI protected your depth for a 120v/20a feed can be one foot. This is a entry level DIY job and the only hard part is the ditch so if you are going to do the ditch you might as well do the whole job.
Will the ditch witch cut through tree roots?
If it won't a Sawzall will easily. Use a 12" wrecking blade.

Old 06-24-15, 06:44 AM
Thanks everyone,
I would have no problem doing the whole job, I have done other big jobs in the past.
The only reason I was thinking of having an electrician hook it up is if the town finds out and then I have to remove it. Like I said it was wired at one time but the main length of the wire underground was removed at some point.

When I started following the cable from the shed it was only 6" or so below the dirt. for 10' then the rest was removed except for 1'-2' at the outside garage wall.

My guess is they were forced to remove it or when they were trying to sell the property they removed it knowing it was not safe.

Old 06-24-15, 07:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Either that or a gardener chopped it since it was so shallow and they didn't bother with a repair for whatever reason.