Question about AC service line from the poco pole

Old 06-24-15, 10:10 AM
Question about AC service line from the poco pole

The service line coming from the pole to my house says it's AWG2 on the jacket and the meter says 200CL. Does this mean I can upgrade to a 200A panel if I so choose?

Also, if I want to extend the line where it enters my house (under the meter), can I do that safely? I'd like to move the box about 8 feet further away from where the existing box is. I've heard that you can't have too much of that exposed on the inside of a house. I'm in Pennsylvania.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-15, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The power company sizes the triplex to a different set of rules than the NEC. You might upgrade your wiring from 100 to 200 amps and they leave the same drop from the pole in place.

The unfused cable inside the house needs to be as short as practical. If you set an exterior disconnect and feed the panel inside with 4 wires it can go as far as you want. All the existing circuits will need to be spliced to reach the new panel.

Old 06-24-15, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

The service line that you're reading that from, that's from the pole to the house? Basically you can ignore the sizing of that line. The POCO is in charge of that and uses a whole other set of rules for sizing. You need to be concerned with the cable running down the side of your house (service entry), meter pan, and main panel.

Most of the time, to do a panel upgrade, you'll need to replace the service entry wires and the meter pan. It would be rather rare for a larger service entry to be wired in and the not used.

As for moving the panel, you'll need to either change the main disconnect to be at the meter, then your panel would be wired as a subpanel. Or you may be able to run the cable on the outside of the house. Code dictates that the main panel should be as close as reasonably possible to the meter, though what that means is usually left up to the AJH (electrical inspector). You would have to contact your local inspector to see what he feels is appropriate.

Old 06-24-15, 11:49 AM
What if the cable in the house was inside PVC conduit? Or should it still run outside the house regardless?

Old 06-24-15, 11:54 AM
Can you suggest an exterior disconnect?

Old 06-24-15, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any exterior rated breaker panel of an appropriate amperage for your service. If your power company allows them, meter/main combo panels are a good option in this case. The wiring method does not change the short as practical rule -- generally enforced to be about 5' of wire.