flourecent lighting repair

Old 04-01-01, 12:34 PM
Visiting Guest
I am attempting to replace the sockets and unable to get the wiring to "hold." Is there a trick to this?
Also, i clippe a wire & need to strip off some of the plastc coating, will a household tool work, or do i need wire cutters? thanks, lee

Old 04-01-01, 01:55 PM
RickM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Use the correct tool to strip the insulation off of the wire. Using anything else may nick the wire, which may then cause it to heat up and/or break.

Whenever you attach a wire to a screw type of terminal, make a hook of the bare wire, and wrap it about 3/4 of the way around the screw. Wrap it clockwise around the screw. Close the hook using needlenose pliers, and turn the screw tight, using a screwdriver. By wrapping the wire clockwise around the screw, you will actually tighten the wire instaed of causing it to loosen, which will happen if you wrap the wire counter-clockwise.

If this wire is made up of alot of small wires, try twisting them before making the hook. When I strip stranded wire, I leave a small amount of the insulation (about 1/4") on the very end of the wire, with the stripped part between it and the remaining insulation. This stripped part should be about 1/2" wide. Make the hook as described above, and wrap it in the same clockwise direction. This small piece of insulation will help keep the stranded wire from splaying out under the head of the screw. If this is a solid wire, making the hook will be fairly easy.

Hope this helps.

Rick Miell

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: