Spa panel with combined neutral/ground bar

Old 06-26-15, 12:26 PM
Spa panel with combined neutral/ground bar

I'm upgrading the circuit breaker in a spa panel that is used for a pool pump. It used to have 1-pole 120 GFCI, now a 2-pole 240 GFCI. New lines were run for the 240. The 120 was wired to share neutral and ground, but from reading online, it appears that neutral and ground in spa panel should be kept separate?

Since this spa panel is ONLY used for the pool pump, I was going to use the built-in bar for the neutral (line and GFCI), then pigtail the ground (line and pump). Any concerns with this solution?

At the main panel, the neutral and ground is bonded with grounds and neutrals going to either side.

Related question: the pool pump does not have a neutral (two loads and ground), so I presume I just ignore neutral connector on GFCI?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-15, 12:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does your spa have electronic controls? If so, it will most likely need a neutral. Neutrals and grounds are never "combined" at the point of use, as they have different jobs.

Old 06-26-15, 02:30 PM
It's not a spa, just a pool pump that has a toggle switch for speed. According to the diagram, uses both leads for high, and one lead for low.

That's what I figured--the neutral would be used for more advanced, optional controls that I haven't purchased at this time.

Old 06-26-15, 02:33 PM
I think I should clarify, this is not a panel on a spa pump, but a spa panel re-used to provide power to a pool pump.

This kind of panel:
Eaton 40 Amp 120/240-Volt Type CH Non-Fused SPA Panel-CH40SPA - The Home Depot

Old 06-26-15, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the description is correct there are both bars already I installed . Check the wiring diagram inside.

Old 06-26-15, 03:35 PM
The example is a newer model; the older one I re-purposed is slightly smaller with only one bar attached to the breaker mounting bracket.