Direct Wire Dishwasher - Ground Wire?

Old 06-26-15, 03:36 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Direct Wire Dishwasher - Ground Wire?

In between everything else getting my house ready for sale, I'm installing a dishwasher in a kitchen where we've been using a portable. It has never had any other dishwasher.

My plan is to direct wire because there isn't an existing dedicated circuit. Right now, I'm wiring the dishwasher end -- the circuit box side is not connected. What occured to me is that I don't know what to do with the bare ground wire in the 14-2 cable. Should I hook it to something? The installation instructions with my dishwasher are to buy a plug and plug it in.

Thanks

Old 06-26-15, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
If the instructions call for a cord and plug that is what you should use. If you were to hardwire, you are violating the instructions and would also need a breaker lock at the panel.

Old 06-26-15, 04:05 PM
T
Okay - I was wrong. I wasn't actually looking at the instructions because they're on the computer -- there's probably a set inside the unit, but I've been using the pdf.

Anyway... there are instructions for direct wiring, including the location of the grounding screw. I probably should have reviewed them again before starting today's tasks.

Sorry. If you'd like to delete this post, go ahead. I would do it if I could. The only real lesson anyone can take from this thread is to read the instructions, especially when you get lost.

Old 06-26-15, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 724 Posts
The only real lesson anyone can take from this thread is to read the instructions, especially when you get lost.
That statement alone is a good reason to keep this post. Glad you got it figured out.

Old 06-26-15, 06:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only real lesson anyone can take from this thread is to read the instructions
The lesson learned is to ask if you're not sure, nothing wrong with that. Instructions are often useless.

Old 06-27-15, 11:03 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Anyway... there are instructions for direct wiring, including the location of the grounding screw. I probably should have reviewed them again before starting today's tasks.
Now that you have it figured out, what are you using for the disconnect at the dishwasher? Is this being inspected?

Old 06-27-15, 01:00 PM
T
It's not being inspected.

I hadn't planned for a disconnect. I'm just running 14-2 from the dishwasher to a new breaker, I'm planning to install within the next couple of hours. (Of course I might come running back to this forum for help, but as an FYI: my guidance for installing the breaker is this forum's archives and my "home wiring" book. Also, I'm planning to put the breaker in a previously-installed subpanel, but it's equidistant to the subpanel's parent. Both appear to have available slots)

Old 06-27-15, 02:01 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Fixed in place equipment not in sight of the breaker box require a disconnect. With new dishwashers this is provided by a cord set and a receptacle. In former times before cord and plug a switch was installed on the wall above it. An option normally not used in a residential setting but code compliant would be to install a permanent lock out for the breaker at the breaker panel.

Old 06-27-15, 02:57 PM
T
If I'm reading correctly, you're saying that I should cut the NM behind the dishwasher location and put a plug/receptacle between the dishwasher and breaker box? I'm not sure how pulling the dishwasher out is more accessible than the breaker box in the basement, but neither of us wrote the code... or would the outlet need to be in an accessible location?

As always, thanks for all the help.

Old 06-27-15, 03:18 PM
T
Edit: Based on these forums, I understand that code wants a dedicated circuit for the dishwasher and if it shares with anything, the code only allows for a disposal.

There is a very accessible receptacle in which the disposal is plugged that has an empty outlet in which the dishwasher could be plugged, but it's on the same circuit as the clothes washer and the septic pump. I know it's not code, but especially if the dishwasher plug has to be more accessible than behind the unit... and wiring a plug is easier than adding a circuit to the breaker box... Any thoughts?

Again, permits aren't required and nothing is being inspected.

Old 06-27-15, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,891 Upvotes on 3,488 Posts
Our thoughts are we previously gave you the code compliant methods. We can't suggest or recommend otherwise. What you do is your choice.

Old 06-27-15, 04:40 PM
There is a very accessible receptacle in which the disposal is plugged that has an empty outlet in which the dishwasher could be plugged, but it's on the same circuit as the clothes washer and the septic pump.
That is a code violation and the answer to your answer. You need to run a new 20 amp circuit to supply the garbage disposal and the dishwasher. The existing GD receptacle should be abandoned in place.

Old 06-27-15, 05:12 PM
T
So, we're back to wiring a dedicated outlet in behind the dishwasher, instead of running cable directly from the dishwasher to the breaker box or plugging it into the existing GD receptacle?

Unless someone tells me otherwise, that's my understanding of how to proceed.

(Of course, another option would be to put the outlet in another cabinet, if it has to be more accessible than an outlet behind. Either way, adding a plug seems to eliminate the direct-wiring option, which I thought was code-compliant from (mis)reading other threads)

Edit: Re-reading some of the other threads, it looks like the outlet shouldn't be behind.

Last edited by TryAgain; 06-27-15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 08:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Hard wired is code compliant if a means of disconnect is installed.

Old 06-27-15, 09:18 PM
T
I guess I'm going with an outlet in another cabinet, but...

Hard wired is code compliant if a means of disconnect is installed.
What would be another form of disconnect? My installation instructions seem to be written for a house that had been wired because there's not a lot of info there and because I've seen it said a few times that direct-wiring is an option, plus by not excluding it the installation instructions also make it sound possible, it hadn't occurred to me that there has to be a means of disconnect.

Other than going through a plug or a switch, what other forms of disconnect are there? And if you go through either or something similar, can it really be called direct-wired?

Old 06-27-15, 09:34 PM
Other than going through a plug or a switch, what other forms of disconnect are there?
None really but as said installing a permanent lock out on the breaker box is an alternative to a disconnect if you can find one Most don't permanently a fix to the box.. But none of this corrects the fact the garbage disposal is not wired in a code compliant way. Installing a 20 amp split receptacle would be no more work and bring you up to code.

Old 06-27-15, 10:18 PM
T
I've only thought about the disposal in regards to this question. It was wired and installed when I bought the house six years ago and has worked fine. My understanding of it coming up in regards to the dishwasher is that it's the only thing you can add to that circuit, where you can have one outlet under the sink. I'm not aware that a disposal has requirements of its own. It may be easy enough to rewire the disposal circuit -- I know what's on it because I can see the wires going in and out of the conduit in the basement -- but I'm down to having just a few hours to finish the kitchen portion of my remodel and rewiring things that are working would either have to be measurably easier (or as easy) or I'm going to have to leave it for whomever buys this house next.

I'll go down to the basement and look at it again, but I started today with the idea of running cable from the dishwasher through the floor, then running it along the basement rafters for about ten feet to the subpanel the last owners added, when they upped the service and replaced the fuse box ten years ago.

Old 06-28-15, 12:57 AM
T
Update: After @Ray2047's caution about the disposal, I read some about it and ran some searches over this forum. It looks to be straightforward enough to put the disposal outlet on a dedicated circuit and plug the dishwasher into it. As I said in a couple of previous posts, my dishwasher is located kinda far from the sink, but since I have all the piping coming back to it (thanks to these forums), it would have been an easy and accessible place to put a plug. After this thread and prior to this reply, I was just going to switch out the single-gang box for a double and write "dishwasher" on one side. Now, instead, thanks to @Ray2047's urging, I'll just rewire that outlet to be a dedicated circuit.

It's a ways from my original plan and quite a distance from my search for a quick answer in my original post -- I've been running several crews or teams every day with this remodel and in between supply runs, I've been working on the kitchen, so when I had a question, I took the easy way out and asked -- but now that it's been suggested, it does seem like the prudent thing to do.

Thanks!

Old 06-28-15, 09:38 AM
Glad we could help you. Any more questions please come back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: