grounding an older 2-wire circuit

Old 04-01-01, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a couple 2-wire cables coming into my service panel. At some point in each circuit, new 12/2 with ground was installed along with 3-prong outlets. In order to provide grounding all the way back to the main panel, can I locate the point where the 2-wire cable conects to the circuit and run a green insulated ground back to the panel from that outlet? Since the rest of the devices downstream are connected by the bare ground wire in the newer 12/2, wouldn't this properly ground the circuit. It would be easier to run a single wire back to the panel rather than a new cable, given that the house was a modular style construction with walls that are an absolute ***** to pull cables through (I replaced alot of them during some remodeling and speak from experience). Thanks in advance.

Old 04-01-01, 06:07 PM
s1nuber
Visiting Guest
Your solution is a code legal installation. Installing new grounded NM cable would be better, but as with most things, cost is a factor. Maintain physical protection requirements of NM cable when you do this (don't run it exposed along a wall, for example).

Enjoy your day!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: