Combination Fan Light Switch:

Old 07-04-15, 12:10 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Combination Fan Light Switch:

I am trying to replace a combination fan/light in the bedroom. Having issues with the wiring as power is going to the fan/light but the switches do not function whatsoever. Plus, the guy at the store said the old switch is out of code.

On the old switch, there were 3 screws on the right: red on top, ground in the middle and black on the bottom. On the right side, there were 2 screws, no wires on the top screw and black on the bottom.

The new switch is configured differently. On the right side there are 3 screws: top: black, middle: black, bottom ground. On the left side there are 2 screws where, I assume the red attaches.

I placed the red on each of the left screws and nothing happens, the unit works but the switch does absolutely nothing. Basically, I have to manual pull each if the chains on the fixture to turn it on and off.

Appreciate any help.

Old 07-04-15, 12:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Could you post pictures of both sides of each switch? Pictures of the wiring at the switch box as well as the ceiling box would help, too. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-04-15, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
A link to your new new switch or picture would be helpful.

You have three wires. You HAD a red and black on one side of the old switch. Those are the lines to the fan. The single black wire WAS your feed to the switch.

One side of your new switch should have two screws tied together. That's the set of screw terminals where the single black wire goes on. The other red an d black go on the load or switched output side of the switch.

Old 07-05-15, 03:47 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
the guy at the store said the old switch is out of code.
That's a big red flag for me. How would a guy at the store know if your switch meets code or not? It may be an old switch, but I can't think of anything in the code that prohibits using an old switch.

Old 07-05-15, 04:32 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is what you have just an ordinary duplex switch? They are certainly code compliant.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  4.7 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: