Bryant circuit breaker replacements-Advice please.

Old 07-06-15, 12:14 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Bryant circuit breaker replacements-Advice please.

Have a friend who is renovating his trailer in a summer resort park. Present panel is described by the picture in this post. I have researched the breakers that I believe are the proper replacements but just want a second, third etc opinion please.

Have selected the breakers I need for the renovation but my question on the duplex (tandem) breakers is that one is listed BR and DB and one is only listed BR. The BR and BD breakers states it as NEC required 384-15 but there is not 384-15. No special need for this circuit as just standard lights and receptacles are to be used on this circuit.

I just want to make sure I have selected the proper breakers before I have him order them.

Photos of panel below.

Thanks for any help.

15 amp GFCI
Eaton Type BR 15 Amp Single-Pole Ground Fault Circuit Breaker-GFCB115CS - The Home Depot

20 amp GFCI
Eaton Type BR 20 Amp Single-Pole Ground Fault Circuit Breaker-GFCB120CS - The Home Depot

---------------20 amp duplex (tandem) ** BR **
Eaton Type BR 20 Amp Single-Pole Duplex Circuit Breaker-BR2020 - The Home Depot

** OR do I have him buy **

---------------20 amp duplex (tandem) ** BR DB **
Eaton Type BR 20 Amp Single-Pole BD Circuit Breaker-BD2020 - The Home Depot

Name:  20150705_091805.jpg
Views: 4993
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  20150705_091916.jpg
Views: 4118
Size:  33.1 KB

NOTE: Below picture is enlarged to show better the breaker information of the above picture

Name:  Breaker types allowed.jpg
Views: 3860
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  20150705_092128.jpg
Views: 3872
Size:  23.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-15, 01:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You should use the BD2020 breaker for the tandem replacement as it has the CTL tab. The BR2020 is for pre-1968 panelboards only which do not have CTL tabs. For the single pole GFCI breakers, the BR series is the correct replacement.

Old 07-06-15, 01:12 PM
Thanks so much.

What does "CTL" tab refer to?

Old 07-06-15, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Circuit Total Limiting. It is a tab/slot configuration between the panel and the tandem breakers to prevent too many circuits from being installed in a panel that wasn't designed to handle them. Breaker slots which are not intended for tandem breakers have a rejection tab which makes it impossible to install a tandem breaker there. In your case it is not all that relevant because every slot in that panel can accept a tandem breaker; however many panels have a limited number of slots for tandems.

Old 07-06-15, 01:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There are often (but not always) only a limited number of tandem breakers that may be used and only certain places they may be placed. This is to keep the panel from accepting more circuits then it is rated for. The breaker has a tab that prevents it from being put in other spaces. Old panels did not have that feature and so there are no notches to accommodate the tab on the breaker. For the old panels you use non CTL with no tab.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-06-15 at 02:49 PM. Reason: To add "often (but not always)" to clarify the reply info.
Old 07-06-15, 01:39 PM
Ok, thanks for the explanation but now confused. If the panel is rated CTL as it is according to the sticker it means
Circuit Total Limiting. It is a tab/slot configuration between the panel and the tandem breakers to prevent too many circuits from being installed in a panel that wasn't designed to handle them. Breaker slots which are not intended for tandem breakers have a rejection tab which makes it impossible to install a tandem breaker there.
But this panel accepts the tandems. Trying to understand why it is rated CTL then. Not your explanation but maybe I am not wrapping my head around the definition properly.

Sorry, confused again
There are only a limited number of tandem breakers that may be used and only certain places they may be placed.
So does this mean this panel can not accept tandems in all positions then?

Yikes!!

Old 07-06-15, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This panel can accept tandems in all positions, so CTL is somewhat a moot issue, however they included the sticker to indicate the panel complies with the regulation and therefore was legal to sell after 1968.

Old 07-06-15, 01:55 PM
Ok, so now a little clearer. The sticker shows only it is complying but not rated that it will not accept tandems.

But looking at a tab is there a way to tell if the tab on the buss can accept a tandem by looking at it. Some stickers are hard to read or missing all together . Just curious and like to understand things for the future.

Thanks so much

Old 07-06-15, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52851[/ATTACH]
Not my photo.

The yellow squares show bus positions where a tandem breaker can be installed. The rejection tab on the breaker fits into the notch in the bus. A tandem breaker cannot be installed into a position with a solid tab because the rejection tab will prevent the breaker from seating on the bus. Note that this is not the only design for a CTL system, but they're all about like this.

Attached Images  
Old 07-06-15, 03:43 PM
ibpooks: Thanks a bunch. You just helped me connect the dots and I understand. If I could I would buy you a beer

And thank you so much ray2047 for your explanation